Strong willed defying baby girl entering the terrible 2s, HELP!

My daughter has been very strong willed since the day she was born! She is 1 of the tough ones to handle. I have had a son about 4 months ago so on top of her defying personality she is now jealous, an entering terrible 2s!! haha Talk about bad timing. Any ways its like it happened over night, all of a sudden she wont stay in time out, even when i put her there she lifts her feet off the ground and eventually sprawls herself out on the floor screaming and then gets up and runs! Every little thing she screams for. Sometimes I dont even know whats the matter. When she does naughty things she gets a time out, if she doesn’t obey then she gets a pow pow on her butt, and then if she still doesnt obey then i put her in her room. when she is all done being punished she goes back and does the same naughty things all over again! Does anybody have any good advise for me? I need help lol!
-Please no negative comments.

Thank you ! <3

JanetElizabeth

Asked by JanetElizabeth at 9:44 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First mommy please no that being a big sister is very hard for a little one, always had your attention and now she has to share you...So include her at every possable moment you can hun. Let her be your big helper and reward her with comments about how good she is doing and how much you and baby love her for the help. When it comes to bad behavior time outs need to be put on the shelf for now and try to teach her consequences instead. Use her favorite toy's or movies...what ever might get her attention at this time and take it away but put in sight of her so she can be told that when she behaves she can have that back and be firm that if she is not going to be good for mommy then it will be taken away again until she is. Try your best to also give her one on one time with you and daddy if he is in the picture. You both need to be working as a team and do this together for it to work. Good luck with what ever you try dear...
    Suzie2mom

Answer by Suzie2mom at 10:25 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Make sure you are giving her enough of your time. Have a special day for only you and her to go out once or twice a month.

And for her behavior, it sounds like she just wants your attention. I would do your routine, and then the second time around I wouldnt say a word to her.. and everytime after that. Just put her in time out in silence, and then her room. If she isnt getting any of your attention, good or bad, she may try to be better for you.
    Good luck. I cant imagine having a baby with my crazy toddler reaking havoc!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 7:34 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• 2 year olds have a very hard time controlling their impulses. She can't stop herself in time, and even if she could she wouldn't know what else to do. For your own sanity, you have to take away as much as possible that she is doing that is naughty. Move things out of her reach, put things out of her sight. Then give her an alternative. When she comes out of timeout let her know that she can't do the naughty thing, but she can do (this) instead. When my nephew couldn't stop touching buttons, my sister told him that he could touch certain buttons if he asked first, but he couldn't touch other buttons that were off limits (the stove, the TV volume when the baby was sleeping) It took a while, but he learned to ask first.
    Also, I agree with the PP, she is looking for your attention. The baby won't get jealous, but she will, so read her stories, color together, mix brownies, play together. GL!!
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 10:12 AM on Nov. 16, 2010