Do you have any hints for getting them to keep things out of their mouth?

Not a baby, which is understandable, but a six year old. Whatever is in her hand seems to go in her mouth. Her hair, a pencil, a crayon.

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 9:51 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'll probably get votedown spectacular for this, but when my son was 6 he was chewing pencils and crayons in his mouth. So I sprayed them all with Granniks bitter apple spray that I use on my dog for chewing. I didn't hurt him. He never did it again, and my pencils are now safe and happy again in my home! lol
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:55 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Musicmom80 if it worked and didn't hurt your son i say good idea. I would tell my kids caca and make a nasty face when they put stuff in their mouth and take it from them. Then I'd pretend to taste it and make a ugly face and say caca. Before I knew it they would pick something up and before they put it to their mouth they would show it to me and say caca with a cute little ugly face and i would say caca with the same ugly face and they would throw it down. It might sound crazy but that's what worked for us they are 17, 12 11 and 10 now and they don't put things in their mouth but whats suppose to go in it.
    suelo74

Answer by suelo74 at 10:02 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• We have this battle and its on going. All I can say is when I catch him....I take the thing away he had in his mouth. That helps for a little while. But he forgets...and again the battle is on. This weekend it was a plant. At least he lived through it and it wasn't poisonous.  But I am always on the look out.  And I also have not bought toys due to the fact they have small parts.  They say three and up but if your little one is five and still puts stuff in the mouth - you just have to know your child and what they are capable of.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:45 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Bitter apple sounds like a good idea. Like you said it won't hurt them and it doesn't taste good at all. Thanks for the idea.
    dgall3

Answer by dgall3 at 1:36 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Remind her that putting random things in her mouth can make her VERY sick. If she really needs some kind of something, get her a necklace with a larger (DURABLE) charm of some kind that she can put in her mouth if she feels the need.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 2:21 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I'm with KTMOM, I would explain how the things they are touching are germy and how sick they can become. I also agree with the yucky tasting things. Good luck whichever you decide.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 7:40 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• lol, it's totally safe. It just tastes really nasty.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:04 AM on Nov. 15, 2010