At what age do you start chores?

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 9:52 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• When they are young, they actually enjoy helping out so get them started early! My daughter used to love when I would give her a spray bottle of water and a handtowel and let her "clean" the kitchen chairs and table...We started with formal "chores" when they were 5 - putting their clothes in their drawers and picking up all the toys in their rooms. Now that they are 9, 10, and 13 they do laundry, sweep, vacuum, dust, etc.

Answer by missanc at 10:53 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• It is never too early to have your child start to help. As soon as they can walk - have them help put toys away. Then go from there.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:54 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• They can help you from early on. It's important not to give them things to do that overwhelm or discourage them. You can gauge their readiness by their desire to help. So let them help. And when you think they are capable, you can then give them small jobs to complete solo. For instance, a child can pick up his socks and put them in the clothes hamper long before he can clean his room. Keep the tasks small and you will have success. Make the tasks too large and you will meet with rebellion.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:58 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My daughter is two and a half and I have been having her help me pick up toys since she was one. Not only does she not mind but I've noticed that she's beginning to put toys away on her own now without me having to ask!
    AutumnJade412

Answer by AutumnJade412 at 10:01 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My youngest turned 1 in August, he helps me sweep and vacuum. Of course I do it the right way afterwards but he has a ton of fun. My 4yr old has his laundry day which he helps me put his clothes in, start the machines, move them to the dryerand fold and put his clothes away. He also cleans his McQueen table and chairs and helps me put his toys away if he wants to go outside.
    ThaSs

Answer by ThaSs at 10:04 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I agree with PPs. My son has always wanted to help out - his favorite thing to do is hand me dishes from the dishwasher to put away, and some things he can put away himself. If you get them involved with helping out around the house early on, they will know it's expected of them and you won't have to bribe them later.
    JJsMoMMy519

Answer by JJsMoMMy519 at 10:09 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• As soon as they can. We don't call them chores. They are responsibilities that we all have.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 10:32 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Mine started with minor chores at 2 years of age. She is 12 now and chores have gotten bigger and more.
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 10:41 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My daughter is 18 months and she has been helping since she could sit up. She helps me do everything around the house. Laundry, dinner prep, vaccuuming... she has her own little version of household cleaning tools and she does whatever I do...
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 11:36 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My girls always have helped out. They have put things out of the dryer and dishwasher since they could walk.
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 12:49 PM on Nov. 15, 2010