any moms know of any good bedtime snacks that may help a child sleep better at night?

SMALLfry05

Asked by SMALLfry05 at 10:00 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• they don't have to be a baby to have a cup of warm milk before bedtime. my 64 year old dad still does it at night when he has trouble sleeping. he doesn't warm it up though, and you don't have to for her either, but i would think warm milk before going to sleep is more settling in the tummy for children and definitely more soothing.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:23 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• a cup of warm milk
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:05 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• No. Being full does not make a child sleep better.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:02 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Cheerios are my daughter favorite before bed snack! (She's two and a half)
    AutumnJade412

Answer by AutumnJade412 at 10:03 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I'm telling you right now, that bedtome snacks will turn into a horrible habit. Don't enforce the bedtime snack, but offer them a snack no later than 1/2 hour before bed time. But, i would not connect the snack to bedtime. It's just a snack. I have a friend who ALWAYS fed her kid right before bed for a comfort thing, he is 16 now & still HAS to eat before bed, and yes...he is overweight.

1/2 hour before bed time, i let DD have some fruit. Sometimes a glass of warm milk & honey. My mom swears it makes you tired. You cal also give them soem sleepy time tea, it works for me now & i am an adult!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:04 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• If you think about it in the sense that we eat food to get calories to give us energy, it would make sense that feeding your child before bed would cause them to not get very good sleep or to wake up during the night. Maybe that's just me, but my son (2-1/2) only gets a cup of milk an hour or so before bedtime and then he has a healthy appetite for breakfast, which after all is the most important meal of the day.
    JJsMoMMy519

Answer by JJsMoMMy519 at 10:07 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Bed time snacks are not a great idea. They are bad for the teeth and aren't neccessary. They can cause weight gain also. Night time is time for our bodies to rest, and that includes our digestive system.

feeding you kid anything 1/2 hour before bed IS a bedtime snack....that's sort of contrdicting.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:08 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• well i was asking because i was told by a doctor a while back that bananas and oatmeal are good before bedtime because they hav melatonin in them....kinda lik triptophan or something i guess.....they say its good to give them that before bed to help them sleep better just like a glass of warm milk.....i understand the whole food gives you energy thing but i know there are foods out there that are good for you and can help you sleep better...im just trying to find out if you moms know of anymore tricks....
    SMALLfry05

Comment by SMALLfry05 (original poster) at 10:12 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My Son has 1/2 of a banana or some cheerios before bed. After he finishes, I brush his teeth. I does make him sleep better. A snack before bed has always been part of our bedtime routine.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:13 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• When I was having trouble sleeping, my rheumatologist suggested a snack with carbs and protein - 1/2 peanut butter sandwich, or a glass of milk with a few crackers. She said there was something in milk that actually promotes sleep, but I don't remember what it was. There is nothing wrong with a bedtime snack, provided it isn't heavy.

Answer by missanc at 10:17 AM on Nov. 15, 2010