night owl 17 year old

my 17 year old stay up way to late, I have taken all his electronics from him, I have had him shut his light off and stop reading, I have even had him take Melatonin (which he says gives him headaches). I have asked him if he is anxious about something he says no. When he does fall asleep he wakes up in just a couple of hours and can't get back to sleep. I tried to get him to go see the doctor and he refuses. Whant more can I do?

hodgkinrus6

Asked by hodgkinrus6 at 10:02 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Nothing. His biological clock might just be wired to "night owl." As long as he's keeping up with schoolwork and everything I wouldn't worry about it.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:06 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Is he on any kind of medication? Or do you know if there is a chance he is playing with drugs? I ask, because i was experimenting with drugs at that age & practically never slept. And when i did, it was not for long.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:07 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Stop giving him the Melatonin and let him be. He may just be a night owl and not need a lot sleep. As long as he is doing good in school, there is not much you can do.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:09 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• When I was 17 I never used drugs (still to this day haven't) and was a night owl. I just do better later at night. I hate that drugs or something else bad is always what people jump to. Odds are it's nothing serious.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:10 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I don't think drugs are an issue, he is a great boy and talks to me about everything, He goes to school everyday with no issues. His grade are not the greatest but they never have been.
    hodgkinrus6

Comment by hodgkinrus6 (original poster) at 10:13 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I was the same exact way when I was that age, actually I was like that from 14 on up to 19 I lived off two maybe three hours of sleep a night. And no I wasn't on any drugs, I just couldn't sleep. And I didn't want to take sleep medication because those are so addictive. Let him be as long as he isn't sick all the time and his school work isn't suffering. About the age of 18 19 I started to get sick because I wasn't getting enough rest but then my body took over and now I get solid 8 hours of sleep.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 10:17 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My brother did that and still does, I say if he's a good kid and doing ok in school then just let him be. Some people are night owls and have a hard time changing their clocks around.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 12:05 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• He sounds like he has some sort of sleep disorder. Why is so opposed to going to the doctor? As his mother, (he is still a minor) you should insist he goes because sleep is very important for his health, ie immune function, etc. Melatonin can cause headaches in some people. Some docs might order a sleep study to see what the problem is. He might also be anxious and or depressed. Good luck.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 6:39 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Is something bothering him?
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 2:40 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• How late is "late"?

It could just be his bio-clock. I remember being a major night owl from 16-28, lol.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 4:12 PM on Nov. 16, 2010