7 Month Old Sleep Troubles!

My son is 7 months old and co-sleeps.
He is also breastfed and although in the beginning (I'd say around 3-4 months) he began sleeping through the night, he now wakes up throughout the night, probably every 2 hours or so, and cannot/will not go back to sleep without being nursed.

I went through this exact problem with my daughter (who is now two and a half) and she breastfed/co-slept until she was 18months! I do not want to have him relying on me to fall asleep for as long as she did. Plus I recognize now that it is imperative that he gains the skill of being able to fall asleep without me.
What do I do?
Should I just let him cry himself back to sleep?

*As a side note: he also wants to breastfeed before his naps where he usually falls asleep nursing and then I put him down.

Any advice will help! Thank you!

AutumnJade412

Asked by AutumnJade412 at 10:15 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• im in the same boat u are! if u find a good answer let me know!! :-)
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 10:39 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• It's very, very normal behavior. Many babies simply aren't capable of putting themselves to sleep at this age. 7 months is "teething meets separation anxiety" and I promise this is probably the worst his sleep will get.... then, he will calm down and go back to sleeping more.

There's nothing wrong with nursing him to sleep if he needs it, there's nothing wrong with bed sharing. He WILL outgrow both needs... but you can't expect independence out of a 7 month old! Most kids outgrow the need for this stuff by age 2. So, hang in there... get comfy and stop focusing. It WILL get better... and the faster you accept that this is normal, the sooner you won't be bothered by it any longer.

LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:59 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Nurse him, and put him down in his own bed. And then if he wakes up, let him cry it out. It wont kill him, or damage him. he will fall back asleep. It will be hard for a few days, but they get used to it. And they still love you in the morning, after their good nights sleep.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 11:28 AM on Nov. 15, 2010