Question for SAHMs - How do you split responsibilities?

If your hubby works and supports your family, how do you split household responsibilities? Are there things you expect your husband to do? What would you like him to do that he doesn't do now?

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 10:17 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• I take care of the house, he brings home the money. It may be old-fashioned, but I feel (actually we both do) that we each work hard at our jobs, I don't expect him to do mine, he doesn't expect me to do his. He will help out if I need him to, and he always does the yardwork - I have no complaints at all. He's even scheduled "girls days" for me out of the blue, just because he thinks that I need a break.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:28 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I feel so blessed in this economy to be able to stay at home while my husband works full time that I dont expect him to do any of the house stuff. Sometimes he voulunteers to cook which is great. He does do stuff liike if something needs fixed.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 10:20 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• He takes care of the cat litter. Because I can't right know. Otherwise he has always taken care of the garbage. But I don't expect him to do much else. This is part of the reason I stay home. But is always willing to help. He does a lot more know since I am at the end of my pregnancy and doesn't complain.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 10:24 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I am also lucky I get to stay home. My husband all he does is take out the trash to the curb every week on trash night and he mows the lawn that is all I ask of him (I believe those 2 things are mens jobs lol) the other stuff I don't ask him to do any of it although however there are times where he will help me clean house without me telling him or asking him. I wouldn't ask him to do any of this because I believe if a girl is home all day and the guy is working all day then I believe it is a womens job to make sure the house work is done and there is dinner on the table when he comes home. That is just me though and how I was raised.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 10:26 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I do the majority of the housework. The ONLY things he does at home is mow and upkeep of the house. He works hard at his job, very physically demanding PLUS hes going to school in the evenings. I do whatever I can to make it a little easier for him.
    Now if he sees that I need help with something, he gladly helps if he can. When he gets home or done with his school work, I would prefer him to spend time with our son instead of having to worry about housework.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 10:27 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• If my husband is the only one working and I am not I don't expect him to do anything. I'll handle dr apps. kids, bills, homework, and anything else that needs to get done. By the time the kids get off the bus I'm making supper so it will be ready when he gets home so we all can eat togehter. But I do get the kids to help me out by washing the supper dishes. I enjoy doing it since he's putting us first. If we are both working we alternate chorus and give kids a little more responsibilities but it evens out. Right now we are both laid off and he has been doing most of the cooking and cleaning. I'm responsible for kids homework and dr app. We take turns with taking kids to practice. Sometimes we get a little lazy and we will argue about not doing our share but we get it together. He has a job interview tomorrow pray for us that he gets the job. Thanks everyone.
    suelo74

Answer by suelo74 at 10:28 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I have to say this; I started answering this question before there were any replies, got distracted, came back and finished it and then saw the other replies. I was expecting to get bashed for my answer, and it made me feel good to see that I'm not all that weird. :) I see a lot of "why doesn't my DH ever help around the house" questions on here, I thought I was the only one who didn't expect her DH to do day to day house things.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:31 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I pretty much do everything in the home. We don't really have any kind of agreement about his responsibilites here except that he takes care of the yard but that is basically just mowing during late spring and the summer. The rest of the time there really isn't anything to do out there. Honestly I'd love it if he would just tackle something without having to be asked repeatedly. I don't expect him to come home and do everything, take over with the kids and all that so I can eat chocolate and watch t.v. I just don't think it would hurt him to take out the trash or fold a load of laundry while I do some schoolwork.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:32 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• well i do expect him to do some things, my answer might be not the most favored one but that's how we do it in this house. it is his job to take out the trash, put his own clothes where the dirty clothes go and ATLEAST take his dirty dishes to the sink. it's also his responsibiltiy as much as it is mine to take care of the kids. just because he works doesn't give him free reign to come home, prop his feet on the coffee table and sit on his ass til bedtime. these are his kids too and yes, he does help me with them. he doesn't get home til 7:30 so it's not like he has much to do by then anyway, just help me get them dressed and put to bed. i don't think that's asking much, given that i do everything else for them all day long. how else is he going to bond with them if he doesn't do anything at all with them? he works 6 days a week and only has one day off. i think it's a reasonable expectation.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:45 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• While he workin I don't expect him to do any household cleaning, IMO that would be embarrasing. Now when hes laid off (winter months) I expect some help, mostly with cooking, dishes, kids.
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 10:46 AM on Nov. 15, 2010