Could you stay in a relationship with a spanker if you were completley against spanking?

If you were completley against spanking, would you be able to stay with someone who was a spanker?

PURPULbutterfly

Asked by PURPULbutterfly at 10:19 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• no, i couldn't. both parents have to be on board with the same ideas of discipline, otherwise signals get mixed and the child gets confused.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:36 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I would never have been in a relationship with and had a child with someone if we were not one the same page with disciplining our child.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:20 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I think every relationship is about compromise. If we cannot come to an agreement about this, then yes I would leave.

This is no different than anything else. There are things that I do not like to do and SO respects that and does not push the issue, just as he has things that he doesn't like. Disciplining a child is no different.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:23 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• MY DH believes in spanking, I don't. We have a great marriage, and respect each other's opinions. When we were first married, we had "his" two children, and "my" two children. He spanked his kids, my kids never were spanked. When we had our child together, we talked about it - he said that we could do it "my" way, and if our son became an out of control brat then we would try spanking. I agreed - we haven't had to spank our DS, but my point is that we discussed it, and came to a compromise that worked for us. IMO, if you can't work out an issue like this in a marriage there are probably other problems in the relationship as well.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:36 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I guess that I would have talked about this before I had kids, but it would depend on what instance the spanking occurs. We do not spank routinely at our house, but have swatted the tush for running out in traffic! If my husband spanked as the consistent form of discipline, I would get him into family counseling with me,, I mean if you were to divorce, he could spank whenever he had the kiddos, so I would think some parenting classes would be in order, so many people just chose to do whatever their parents did, and sometimes that is not the best way to go!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:38 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Simplicity, that wasnt my question.
    PURPULbutterfly

Comment by PURPULbutterfly (original poster) at 10:23 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• real mature. no wonder you screen name is simplicity.
    PURPULbutterfly

Comment by PURPULbutterfly (original poster) at 10:28 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I wouldn't have married or had children with someone who had a different parenting style than me. We discussed this before having children. We both were on the same page that spanking was for the uncreative and lazy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I would have crossed that bridge before you had kids. Does he do it everyday. Just when they really do something bad.Just talk to him and try to meet halway.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:15 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Somehow I thought you were talking about sex spanking. But the answer is still no. Spanking can very easily turn into abuse.
    depressedmom65

Answer by depressedmom65 at 1:36 PM on Nov. 15, 2010