ok dont know what to do?

I got my children a dog last April, Well she has been great up until a couple months ago when she started constantly pooping in my sons room and my living room. She is 3 and was already potty trained. Now she is peeing in my living room. Tried cleaning the carpet with a pet odor remover and its not working she is still going every where. I am constantly taking her out and she wont go. I just cant do it anymore i am 8 months pregnant with my 4th child and don't have the energy to be picking up after her anymore. I would like to give her to a good and safe home but my children and hubby love her what do i do? Sorry i just am at my wits end with this dog and don't want to hurt my family. Thank you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Pets

• Dogs don't just poop and pee in the house for no reason..especially after being potty trained. I think you should take him to the vet to see if there is a medical problem. He might be sick or depressed. I don't think you should right away think of giving him away. Dogs can't talk to us but we have to try to figure out what the problem is. I think your dog needs to see a vet.
    nora17

Answer by nora17 at 3:26 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Well know this to...in your son's room....not saying he pees on stuff but if the dog is smelling urine the dog might think it's ok to pee there. You know like they do when they smell something outside and pee on it? Also, if the dog is inside and it's great that you take it out a lot, but get those potty pads and put some of it's urine on it that way it knows to pee on that. When you catch your dog peeing and pooping where it shouldn't, don't hit but scold it and place it on the paper or take it out the door and tie it up for a bit...it will soon know that outside is where it goes. I believe there are sprays to keep animals from deficating on stuff or something like that....I'd have to check. Hope it gets better.
    stayhomemom22

Answer by stayhomemom22 at 3:31 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• retrain it. get a dog crate and start all over after you have gotten it to the vet and checked out. my dogs started this and i cleaned the carpets and put a doggie gate up. no more problems.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:20 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I am almost 6 months pregnant and my dog has started acting different around me about a week and a half ago. She sits and whines at me all night, no matter how much attention I give her. She seems to not want to snuggle like she use to. Maybe your dog is feeling a change in you and this is the way she is responding to it. I think my dog is feeling something different with me and that is why she is different now. Good luck!!!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 8:39 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• O another helpful tip, if you can afford it and it's possible...put in a doggie door. All depends on if you have a place to put a doggie door and a good fence.
    stayhomemom22

Answer by stayhomemom22 at 9:36 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• been there done that a couple times. I have the doggie door, and the one dog just would pee inside right next to it, kinda defiant like, but I always knew because he'd act guilty until I'd see it then he'd run out. hard as it was I got rid of him but not for that. He was little, but could jump the fence and go bark at my unfriendly neighbors who would call pound. coulnd't handle the stress. family and kids attached, but not helpful, so took charge and removed dog. prior to making the decision, I crated him, or leashed him. every time he was off the leash, he'd jump the fence and run away. waaayyy too much stress for a prego mom. like i said, been there and done that more than once.
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 10:34 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• Call your vet. But I think if you don't have the time/energy to put into the dog, then in the best interest for the dog I would get her a new home. Especially w/ a new baby on the way.
    scaruso08

Answer by scaruso08 at 9:15 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

• My dog will pee in my daughters room only if she (the dog) gets mad. She has never pee'd in my room in 3 homes and I think that is weird. I agree with the vet thing first, then of course once the smell is in your carpet the dog thinks it's ok to go so that is a problem, I like the crate for training/re-training and hopefully it won't take long since your dog was at one time house broken, so I would suggest the crate, a professional carpet cleaning and retrain. I would also insist that if the kids/hubby love the dog so much....they help or fido gets a new family. Hope this helps.
    RentaMom

Answer by RentaMom at 10:55 AM on Nov. 6, 2008