How do we reclaim our tax dollars from the federal government without using earmarks?

It sounds like everyone is pretty happy with local governments, and the federal government gets a poop sandwhich.

How do we get money back from the federal fovernment, into our local governments, without earmarks that funnel money directly to locally specific projects and programs?

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 10:25 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• How about we lower federal taxes so that less money goes to the feds in the first place? Then, local governments can tax more and fund the projects they need money for.

Same with public schools. Get RID of the DOE and tax less so that local governments have more control. We should be seeing the highest rates at the state level, not the federal level.

It doesn't make ANY sense to send money all the way to washington in order to beg to have it back. Cut out the middleman!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:49 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• At this point, we aren't "reclaiming our tax dollars." We are taking money borrowed from China and Japan for pet projects.

You don't repave your driveway when you are unemployed and have no money for groceries.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:47 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• The DOE is more about the unions, bureaucrats, and special interest and LESS about the children.

I think we need to have a serious debate about either (both) the Fair Tax and Flat Tax. Releasing the American People from the strangle hold of the IRS...

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:59 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• The definition of Earmark is different among politicians and even US citizens. Our Federal Government needs more transparency and accountability. And not in speeches, but in ACTIONS.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 10:54 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I've made a hundred points about things that need to go...and the typical democrat answer is "that won't balance the budget.

One thing alone will NOT balance the budget. The earmarks need to go. Period. Will that alone balance the budget? No. An act of God wouldn't balance that budget, but that doesn't excuse continuing to bleed money.

when my husband was younger, if he was short ten bucks on rent, he'd blow the whole thing, instead of figuring things out. Not anymore. Just because we are short on the rent doesn't mean we shouldn't bother trying to make it work.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:09 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Actually, State and local governments are pretty much just as bad as federal government. They are loaded with red tape and waste. The size of the city or State has a direct correlation on just how bad. My little city of 33,000 does a darn good job of using our city tax money but I still don't agree with all they do.
    The big thing about earmarks is the way they are done. Many of them are so ridiculous they have to be slipped in secretly. No state needs to be paying for turtle tunnels and prostitute studies. I certainly don't need MY tax dollars going to some states fantasy project. I think that is really what an earmark is. Why not just change the name of it and how it has to be done? Call them state needs because if they don't really need it they should not even be seeking it.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 1:26 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• The whole Earmark ban is ridiculous and POLITICIANS know it (yes, even the ones that promised it)

Thats why they are ALL backtracking, including Rand Paul

The only people that DID buy it...well......no comment...they voted these IDIOTS in on FALSE and EMPTY promises

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:33 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Oh, and agree with lovin... we should be paying down our debt before doing anything else ATM.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 10:50 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I agree with my peeps! You girls rock!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:05 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Some of these things just stupid too. One thing I remember, this was years ago, federal tax dollars were going to a Lawrence Welk museum. I have no issue with the guy personally. The show still airs on PBS on weekends around here. If they want to build him a museum, have at it but use private funds not tax dollars. There are hundreds of ridiculous projects like that out there many of which come from earmarks.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 11:32 AM on Nov. 15, 2010