How to cook black beans!

I'm about cook black beans for the first time. What seasonings and advice can you recommend? About how long do they take? Do they really take longer than other beans?

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 10:48 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Food & Drink

• If you haven't soaked them, use the quick soak method, bring to a boil, turn off heat and let sit for 1 hour, then cook. I like to add onions, celery, cumin, Lawreys seasoned salt.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 11:22 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I soak mine over night, then boil them (in new water) for a couple hours the next day. If you have hard water, put a teaspoon or so of baking powder in, they'll soften faster! I usually put lots of salt and some cumin in mine. Usually i'm just making refried beans though!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 10:52 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I soak my overnight in the fridge, they take about the same time as a pinto bean,, You can season them with anything, from bacon to cajun,, I use mine in mexican chili! Good luck
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:51 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Dried beans? Have you soaked them already? You need to soak them and then cook them. As for spices, what do you want to make with the beans?
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:51 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• i rinse mine well, pick out anything that does not look okay, then put them in the crock pot with plenty of water. i do not season them because i cook a whole pound at a time to use for multiple meals. i never soak them and they always come out nice. i have not done it in a while so i do not remember how many hours it takes - 6 or 8 maybe. i just watch them and stir when they look like they are getting done.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 12:31 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• soak, season, and cook unil they taste just right. But in a jam Goya Black beans in a can taste great.too.
    Bubbles120

Answer by Bubbles120 at 12:39 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Directions for cooking them should be on the bag.
    kbakeman

Answer by kbakeman at 11:24 AM on Nov. 15, 2010