So.. I just saw a question, "What is the best book you have ever read..?" and a lot of people said "THE BIBLE".. and they got several vote downs..Why?

SuperrMommyy

Asked by SuperrMommyy at 10:49 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I think that no matter what the reason is you don't like the bible, there's no reason to vote someone down for liking it. The same goes for people who would vote down Harry Potter, or Twilight, or whatever for religious reasons

I would totally vote down anyone who puts TWILIGHT as the best book they've ever read. I forced myself to read the entire series and was wanting to bash my head against a brick wall the entire time. How that ever ended up on the New York Times Best Seller list is beyond me.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:45 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• It seems a lot of people just want to vote others down that are not the same as the person voting. It happens to everyone christian, muslim, atheist, pagan, what have you. I did not see the post you are talking about but yah it is happening a lot. It is this whole be like me or I vote you down and try to make you feel bad mentality. It is probably a lot of the same people that use to use the anon button to stalk and slam people.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 10:55 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I picked the Bible as the best book I ever read as it is also the book that has provided the answers to questions that I have had for a long time. It has given me purpose in life as well as direction. I was voted down too. I don't see why someone would vote you down on a question like that. That's as stupid as voting someone down on a WYR question.
    dgall3

Answer by dgall3 at 1:00 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• that's a good question....I didn't see the question but if I did I'd also answer the Bible. :)
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 10:52 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I think that no matter what the reason is you don't like the bible, there's no reason to vote someone down for liking it. The same goes for people who would vote down Harry Potter, or Twilight, or whatever for religious reasons. If that's what they like best, it's their right to like it best and they shouldn't be voted down just for that.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 11:11 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I think people vote down the Bible because they don't like what it stands for. And the fact that some people believe it's a work of fiction, is totally irrelevant to the question. The question was "what is your favorite book?" not "what is your favorite non-fiction?"
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 11:49 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I saw that too, everyone perspective of what the best book is different, that should not be up for debate or votes down.

Answer by older at 12:05 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Well from a literary standpoint it is poorly written. Granted it had several different writers but it tends to be vague in many areas which leave the interpretation up to the reader. SOmetimes it uses too much figurative language, others, not enough. The original form had no punctuation whatsoever, that was added later as it ws translated into different languages and there is no guarentee the punctuation that was added was done so properly and thus it can change how the original authors intended it to be read...........I could go on, but from an aspect of literary skill etc, there are much better books out there,
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:55 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I don't know, but I think it's pretty petty to vote anyone's answer down when regarding their favorite book. We're all different and have different likes and dislikes. Why should someone get voted down because of their preference in books? I mean...come on, people, it's time to grow up! Stop being so childish!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:11 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Because that which the mind cannot understand, it fears.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:35 PM on Nov. 15, 2010