I would like to understand

For people that believe that believing in Jesus is being brainwashed,I would like to know why you believe that.I am just trying to understand were everybody is on this.

bucky77

Asked by bucky77 at 11:02 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Do you believe that santa shimmies down a chimney with a lit fire and drops gifts under your xmas tree?
    Do you believe that when you lose a tooth, a faerie sips into your home and exchanges hard currency for the tooth?
    Do you believe that babies are delivered to the hospital by way of stork, in a bunting blanket?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:06 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Well generally I don't believe that. It is when one demonstrates the one hasn't reseached their own religion that I tend to think one is naive and/or brainwashed.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 11:30 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• As a believer and follower of Jesus I believe I am brainwashed, but not in the negative way that you are referring to. I believe that my brain is washed, cleaned, and renewed daily by grace and love. This "washing" allows me to focus on the good and helps me not be influenced by the enemy. We are all "brainwashed." It's just a difference of who is doing the washing.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 12:02 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I don't know of anyone that believes that simply because you believe in Jesus you were brainwashed. There is a huge difference between believing and following blindly. To me, it's those who follow blindly simply because this is what they were taught that fall in to the "brainwashed" category. If you believe in Jesus & have some basic common sense, like most do, it's far from brainwashing. But there is a clear line between belief and blind following...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:05 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• It ultimately is based on faith so this isn't something I try to convince others of, it's a personal belief I've come to through reflection, prayer and personal experiences. I don't expect others to believe as I do and I understand why others don't. Just because someone disagrees with me belief doesn't make it brainwashing.

I did not grow up in a religious home, I attend church but I'm free to come and go as I please. I am free to get different information separate from my church through books, talking to people, and the internet. I talk to people of all different belief systems so I'm not a captive audience who only receives one message. I've freely chosen to embrace the belief that I feel deeply connected to. Trying to convince myself I don't believe makes as much sense as trying to make someone believe who doesn't.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 1:07 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• For people that believe that believing in Jesus is being brainwashed,I would like to know why you believe that.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IMO .... It's not believing in Jesus, it's the blind following, without thinking for yourself, that is when it is referred to as "brainwashing". Also, its not just those who follow Jesus, it's anyone who believes what they are told without thinking for themself.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:27 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• This is an insecure behavior in which people consume every answer with criticizing christianity, so, they become what they hate. Pretty darn ironic.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 1:38 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Because according to the bible, the earth is 5,000 years old. Because according to the bible, dinosaurs never existed! Because according to the bible, regardless of finding a gay gene, being a homosexual is a sin. Because according to the bible, there is no sin greater than another; meaning lying is the same as being gay. That's in the bible! That's reading and comprehension! And christians try to say that sin has different levels..that god would forgive for lies, but not for sexual misconduct..

It's humerous. You all are slaves, your lack of souls will lead you to early graves. Content to live lives of unrelenting praise to a god no more real than any other, your body is all that remains when death replaces life.
    gabrielle_x

Answer by gabrielle_x at 2:11 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I SOOO agree with Kittieshy's answer! What a PERFECT illustration of what Christ does for us!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:11 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• It is not your belief that makes some feel you are brainwashed.. it is the blind following, with out question, that makes some feel that way. (Honestly, I feel that way as well.... you can follow a specific path and be open to change or other view points without resorting to the "But, God loves you unconditionally" spiel)
    Kaelansmom

Answer by Kaelansmom at 2:21 PM on Nov. 15, 2010