How long is long enough?

People have all sorts of addictions. Some of them need treatment. There are 30/60/90 dayy programs. Is this long enough? Why or why not.

cesarpup

Asked by cesarpup at 11:25 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Health

• Depends on the addict.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:26 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I think addicts have a lifetime sentence , they battle those addictions every day for life. I think a 90 minimum program is needed, to break old habits and instill new habits. I have seen people go through 30-60 day programs, and they seem to slip back into old ways much sooner than the 90 day people, but the risk is always there.
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 11:34 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I agree with MamaAlice54. I also think that addicts have a lifetime sentence. I have known addicts(both alcohol and drugs) and when I talk to them, it doesn't matter if they have been clean 6 months or 25 years, they all say the same thing, that everyday is a battle to resist the urge to give in. I also agree that a minimum of 90 treatment program is needed. Also, I believe that it takes strong will and determination to kick the addiction.
    I have dealt with people in my life, family and friends, that are currently addicted to something or have beat the addiction. Also, rock bottom is different for many people and I believe that you have to be really open and ready to say 'no more'. Every addict is different, all that we can do is be supportive as they begin the journey to sobriety.
    Eprahs

Answer by Eprahs at 11:39 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I depends on the individual's motivation and sincerity of commitment to change, the effectiveness of the treatments available (not just "time"), and the strength of their support system.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 3:53 PM on Nov. 19, 2010