• In the Spotlight:

If you potty trained your child at 2 when did you take the diaper off at night?

I am training my 2yr old son. He does GREAT during the day. But i still put a diaper on him at night time. Sometime he will get up and use the bathroom after he has already been asleep and sometimes he wont. Most mornings his diaper is empty. I was just wondering when other moms took it off.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would take it off now and make sure u have a plastic matress cover if he is in a twin it helps protect the bed and dont get upset if he has a accident it happens just have him help u strip the bed in the morning.... it will help to remind himself when he needs to go at night...
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 3:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• My son is 4 1/2 and he wears a pullup to bed. He sleeps like a log. Most mornings he wakes up dry, but having him lay in pee during the night won't wake him up. He also only pees like 3 times a day, so he may or may not go right before bed.
    chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 4:42 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• When to lose the diaper? When he has been dry 7 mornings in a row.

Night time dryness is NOT related to day time dryness. Always remember that lots of kids wet the bed until 5 or 6. It's not a medical problem until 7 or even 8 years old. People just don't talk about it so every parent thinks their child is "lazy" or "defective" or that they failed their child somehow. If it wasn't common, there wouldn't be multiple brands of big kid night time pull-ups on the market (UnderJams for example). Companies don't make products they can't sell or make a profit on. If no one needed them, if bed wetting was very uncommon, no one would make or sell these pants.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:00 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• its not too much how old, its more of when hey're ready. try getting waterproof bed clothes, i found some at walmart, and some old sheets, take the diaper off and see what happens. i was nervous too my sons first time cuz well with a diaper ur just not too sure. try this for about a week. and if theyre not wetting the bed then your set. if they wet the bed a few times or each time. it might not be the time just yet.
    misa.marie

Answer by misa.marie at 6:44 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• when you have a good 7/8 dry nights. let him pick his favorite under wear to wear at night, and explain, he cant wet in them. This worked for my grandaughter, and she did great!!!!! good luck a nd tell your son we are ALL proud of him... PRAISE , PRAISE PRAISE,,, BIG TO A CHILD
    mosaickathy

Answer by mosaickathy at 7:32 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I did with my daughter as soon as she really started going during the day consistently...it kind of fell into place for her that she had to get up at night too and she has only had maybe 2 accidents since she was "trained" 6 months ago. Just make sure you're making him go potty before bed...the only 2 accidents my daughter had were when she fell asleep in the car and I just put her to bed instead of waking her up first. Good luck mama!!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:53 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• gracie was potty trained @ 20 months during the day and i took her diaper off at night when she was dry in the mornings for 2 weeks straight.. which was around 28 29 months..she still has accidents occasionally i think she has wet the bed 3 times in the past 2 years since potty training..
    hope this helps
    gracelynmommy

Answer by gracelynmommy at 7:58 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I have five kids...waited until they woke up dry for just a little over a week. Always make them go to the bathroom before going to bed....usually the water running while brushing teeth will make them want to go ;) And remember....all kids have accidents....no biggy. :)
    PsychicSherry

Answer by PsychicSherry at 8:18 AM on Nov. 4, 2008