Why do we go from Halloween to Christmas? Whatever happened to celebrating Thanksgiving?

girliemom0406

Asked by girliemom0406 at 11:30 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Holidays

• It's because merchants make the majority of their profit for the year during the Christmas shopping season, so they think by extending that season, they will increase their profit. When times are harder and their business is down, the Christmas shopping season may be what lets them break even for the year.

Personally, it's distasteful. I can't stand how stores move the start dates of stuff to months in advance. I'm not thinking about my summer swimsuit in March, my fall coat in July, Halloween in August, and I'm certainly not ready for Christmas carols in mid-October!
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 11:36 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I know right? Its all about making money and getting people nervous and thinking about doing their shopping right now. money money money.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 11:31 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I wish I knew. I love Thanksgiving and everything involved and I hate that it gets overlooked every year!
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 11:32 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I totally agree with geminilove...makes me sad to see my favorite holiday skipped over :(
    saydeejo

Answer by saydeejo at 11:58 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I agree with the above posts, thanksgiving does get overlooked a lot because of the buisnesses trying to make money on the christmas season and with money as tight as it is right now they think if they make it start earlier then they will make more money. We still make it a special day and I know a lot of people that do as well so not everybody has forgotten about it.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 12:18 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Businesses do it for commercial reasons. You'd think at least the grocery stores would remember Thanksgiving and tout that more. But so many think of Thanksgiving as just a time to get together with family and friends and eat themselves into a coma and watch football. While we should be thankful every day for what we have, its nice to have one day in the year where we really reflect on all our blessings. In this work a day world , being cognizant of all our blessings sometimes gets pushed to the wayside.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 11:58 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Just not big enough for me nothing fun to do beside spend time with the in Laws any way
    Cokegirl09

Answer by Cokegirl09 at 1:13 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I think there are less ways to decorate for thanksgiving, so of course the stores shoot right over to christmas! il ove thanksgiving, and il ove christmas.. mine and my hubbys birthdays are also thrown in there, so i am just thankful for family! i dont care what the decorations are!! i think people look too into when people are decorating and what not. although stores need to chill out!
    mohme2three

Answer by mohme2three at 3:56 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• lol i wonder the same thing myself. I guess theres not much money to made maybe??
    mommywood13

Answer by mommywood13 at 1:46 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I would like to know the same thing! I was volunteered to decorate for a Thanksgiving style dinner at my church and I was asked to decorate with a Thanksgiving/fall theme but when I started looking for stuff in the stores the day after Halloween, it was already Christmas stuff and not even one pumpkin or gourd or anything Thanksgiving or fall themed. Luckily I did find a few things on clearance at a craft store that I can use for centerpieces. But, yeah, mommywood is probably right, not as much money to be made.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 1:53 AM on Nov. 16, 2010