Would you take your children out of school for 2 weeks to go on a Winter family vacation?

My hubby's cousin is doing this & now has the school really p.o. at her & her hubby. My hubby told the cousin why not wait until Summer & go on a family vacation? What do you think? Agree w/my hubby or my hubby's cousin?

girliemom0406

Asked by girliemom0406 at 11:33 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Nope, Education is way too important!
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 11:35 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• It depends, is this a once in a lifetime chance?
    Are the kiddos kindergarten/1st grade level?
    If they can do all of the work they are going to miss, and have the chance to travel somewhere fantastic, they will have experiences that could benefit them for a lifetime. My parents took my brother and I to South America when we were in elementary school, and I have never forgotten all that I learned! Now if we are talking disney, then stay home,,LOL
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:40 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I wouldn't that is just too much time. if they have to go on a winter vacation. Why not do it while they are out for Christmas?
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:36 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• nope, I wouldn't do it
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:37 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• No, I wouldn't. If the school determined it was an unexcused absence, they run the risk of getting two weeks worth of zeros on tests and assignments. The school does not have to let them make up the work they miss. They also run the risk of having to repeat the grade level due to too many absences. I believe 10 days is our absence limit without some kind of extenuating circumstances.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 11:57 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I agree with your hubby. Two weeks is a lot for a child to try and make up in school. While vacation is fun education is important and taking them out of school is not helping their education.
    bellsandheels

Answer by bellsandheels at 11:37 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Education is definitely important but I don't see a problem with it. Education doesn't just happen in a brick building with overloaded teachers.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 11:38 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I'd wait for the school to have a break and keep the time frame to that. So, if we wanted to visit a place for two weeks then summer would be the time to do so.

I think they should also take into account the kids' ages, school work, etc. Two weeks is a lot to miss. What did the school say to them? I don't know our policies off the top of my head but I'd imagine 10 days due to vacation isn't allowed in most places.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 11:39 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• When husband was deployed I took the kids out for 7 days during his mid tour ( january) so we could have some family time. I communicated with the school, worked with teachers to get lessons, and we did homework while on the road and during our vacation. The school originally said that if my kids missed more than the allotted 9 days ( our 7 plus any absenses accumulated) the. We run the risk of being reported to CPS. I said CPS was welcome in my home anytime. But then I got a letter from the superintendent saying under special circumstances the absent policy could be waived. Military fall under that category.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:48 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I wouldn't but I know people who have. Personally I can't justify it.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:39 PM on Nov. 15, 2010