Are high school kids still reading books for class like Farenheight 451, 1984, Animal Farm, Atlas Shrugged?

Are they even on recommended reading lists anymore?

duckigrrl

Asked by duckigrrl at 11:36 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Last time I checked (last year) they were. Why?
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:37 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My son read some of those books in 8th grade when I had to read them in 10. Times have changed...
    mamacita69930

Answer by mamacita69930 at 11:40 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I know for sure my Grandson was reading Fahrenheit 451 for school ---he's in 9th grade. The English deartment sent home a list of books to read during August and they were supposed to have them read before school started,then do reports on them and that book was the one he was reading last.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:40 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My son who is a junior in HS recently read Animal Farm. He's also read 1984 & Fahrenheit 451. Oh & The Bell Jar. I know there are some other classics he has had to read just cant recall them at the moment
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 11:41 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My girls attended Catholic school, and had a different reading list. I read those books but I took an American Lit class in high school..public. My girls had to read The Uglies and The Pretties, The Oddsey, Some Shakespear, some Agatha Christie, and Some others I had not heard of.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:41 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• @ ballewal, I dont have a child in school right now --and I get curious as to what kids are being exposed to. I'm glad to see they are still being read.
    duckigrrl

Comment by duckigrrl (original poster) at 11:44 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I know they were as of 3 years ago. However, books like "Rules for Radicals" and such are on NEA recommended reading lists and hopefully don't become required (as the one I mentioned actually dedicates to book to Lucifer).
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 11:49 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My son had to read Fahrenheit 451 last summer for school. He knew at least 3 kids in other schools that also had to read it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:55 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Yes, banned or not our school still has them on their reading lists. We own quite a lot of those books too!
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 11:59 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• They where not on my son's reading list. I never read any of those either in hs. We went to same hs so they must not think we needed to read those. lol
    1Giovanni

Answer by 1Giovanni at 12:06 PM on Nov. 15, 2010