Need information on childrens medications that treat aspergers and OCD.

My son's DR. suggested that at his next appointment we may need to have a conversation about starting him on something. I don't want to go into this blind, and I also don't want to just say no the drugs because I'm afraid of them.

His school is planning to put him in special needs next year already because of his behaviors (which are really pretty mild and mostly about attention issues) and I don't want that to happen because of something I could have prevented.

I'd like to know what med's are available, how your child has done on them, and any side effects. Also are you glad you gave them to your child.

MarianneTv

Asked by MarianneTv at 11:45 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Kids' Health

• There are TONS of medications available, way too many to post about. I personally have not gone the route of medication and instead focus on behavior modification. But I have many friends who's kids have been on countless medications. You give them one and you have to play with the dosage to get it right, and then either it stops working or the side effect gets too profound and you end up having to switch to the next medication.
    There aren't really any meds to "treat" aspergers, only to mask symptoms and which medication they would suggest would be dependent upon which symptoms your child is exhibiting. Because the spectrum is so wide, there is no way to really answer this question.

Answer by missanc at 12:14 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Thank you for your answer. I'm sure your right about a ton of meds being available. I really just don't know where to start researching any of them without knowing any names or anything about them or examples of someone having been on this drug or that.
    MarianneTv

Comment by MarianneTv (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My son has Aspergers and he is on meds, but he is not taking it due to Aspergers, he is taking it for anxiety and to help with meltdowns. He was on 1 med. from January to July and I really did not see much change, so in August they switched him to a different med and I do think it is helping him.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:26 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• This is something that you can goggle or go to Webmd.com Just google Asperger medication for kids. There are many and every child will respond differently to any given drug. It may be a trial and error to find one that works for your son. Talk to the doctor about your concerns. When a medication is decided on, ask the doctor about side affects, how it works, etc.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:10 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Webmd has good information
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:10 AM on Dec. 14, 2010