i don't get this

my oldest has advanced in every subject but writing. she hates writing and it takes her three hours to write one sentence. her teacher and principal are trying to help us figure this out, but is this normal? she's in the 3d grade but these are the grades she's been tested at math 4th grade, science 6th grade, and reading almost 10th grade. we're confused

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 11:50 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• My kids' school did a night for parents of gifted students. The common misconception is that a gifted kid is gifted in all things. There is often something that falls by the wayside. My oldest is brilliant in math, great in science but HATED writing, especially in the 3rd grade. (He hated all of 3rd grade.) It has gotten easier over time. His writing skills have increased both physically and at an academic level. He is always much better at the computer than physically writing. I would have her tested with a OT just in case it involves muscles. And just give it some time if it's not.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 5:37 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Just because someone ranks high in reading it doesn't mean they have the creative element necessary to be good at writing. I wouldn't make a big deal over it. Just praise what she's good at. She'll find her place in writing. I struggled to write and thought it had to be fiction. One day it dawned on me I'm a non-fiction writer and I've been off and running every since. maybe she's struggling to use her imagination and she may be better with facts. She's fine.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:55 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• She hates writing. I think that's it. Of all the things listed, it is a physical process and one that takes time. The other things are mental. How does she do at typing??
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:57 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Or maybe I misread the question. Are we talking creative writing?? Or is it writing in general?? Either way there is always a subject we don't like as well as others. As long as she isn't completely failing at writing praise her accomplishments.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:59 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• she does well if she uses the computer, but won't use pen and paper, but she loves to draw. she makes up stories, with words to go with the pictures. right now they have to do a book report on one of her favorite books, she won't write but she'll do it oral. we're just worried cuz the istep is coming up and 90% is writing. if she won't write, how can she pass to go into the 4th grade?
    noel1978

Comment by noel1978 (original poster) at 12:02 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I found this link interesting. Maybe she could see an occupational therapist. Good luck to both of you.

http://www.education.com/question/1st-grader-writing-trouble-reading/
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:16 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• my son has a learning disability that that can not figure out exactly what it is but he is similar. he is smart but writing is he weakness. great on computer though and they made special arrangement s for him to do testing on the computer this year. talk to the teacher. i always feel better after talking to the teacher, share ideas. they usually like input from home. my son is in 4th grade and it is a huge struggle for him. GL
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 4:47 PM on Nov. 15, 2010