2 year old not listening at all

My DD just turned 2 years old on October 30th and she has been very defiant and will not listen to very simple things...I KNOW ITS TERRIBLE TWO'S...but i also have a 7 month old who needs cared for also and I need advice on how to discipline my 2 year old to listen better

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Be consistent. I think time-outs are the best solution.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 11:53 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Let her know you mean business, If she doesn't listen then she needs to go to time out. Eventually she will start to understand that when mommy tells her to do or not to do something that mommy means it.. also she might be testing you to see what she can get away with, as well as possibly being jealous of her younger sibling who is getting more attention.. I really hope this helps you good luch
    toriturtle

Answer by toriturtle at 11:57 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Like the above answer, that's about all you can do. Some days my two year old spends all most all day in time out. (His birthday was Oct 13) In fact, yesterday he jumped on my bed and put himself in time out.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 11:57 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Lots of time they go for the negative attention when they do not get enough positive attention. Make sure you and your SO spend one on one time with her. And praise her when she does something right. She aslo has a "currency" which is whatevr is the most important thing to her. Withhold that for punsishment when she does not listen. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:58 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• thanks for all the answers!!! I just have this thing where i feel like im being "too mean".
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:59 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Both time out and taking away a special thing can be done with love and kindness. Stay calm. Speak calmly. Explain what is going on and why you are doing it. Your calmness helps her calm down. Make sure you get eye contact with her also. Tell her to look at your eyes before explaining things. You can do it!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 12:05 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Be consistent !
    Cokegirl09

Answer by Cokegirl09 at 12:37 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• time out can work as can taking away a stuffed animal...almost a smack on the bottom if she does stuff that is dangrous can work wonders.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 6:46 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Consistancy is key in whatever you choose to do.
    Time outs work most of the time for my DD, but sometimes she needs a swat on her diaper. Never hard or with anything, just a tap to let her know I'm not messing around.
    And try your hardest to KEEP YOUR COOL. I knw its hard, but if you get yourself all worked up too, its harder for both of you. Just remember its normal and she will grow out of it.
    Yes, sometimes its sooo frustrating, I know. But the times I keep my cool, she calms down a lot quicker and starts to listen sooner.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 7:31 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Youre not being "too mean", you just have to not give it. Thats the hardest part when you say no, or tell her to do something you have to stick with it. She will walk all over you if you dont. GL!
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 7:33 PM on Nov. 15, 2010