What is so wrong with pat downs and x-rays things at the airport?

I am an uneasy flyer anyway and the thought of someone crashing or blowing up a plane scares the crap out of me too. I would MUCH rather get inapproprately pat down then have someone sqeeze through security with a bomb/weapon, ect on them.

sunshine58103

Asked by sunshine58103 at 11:53 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Travel

• I agree about the pervs with the pat downs........only cause there ARE those freaks out there, and I feel they are not too accurate. Arent the machines accurate that Xray, they can see our bodies. I dont want people touching me.

Why arent there more police dogs sniffing out those explosives at every gate then? I think the pat downs are not the way to go about it...and the machines should LOOK thru the bags women and men carry on.

They can put men on the moon, and keep them in space costing millions...and spend millions on the dang war and can't come up with better technology to help stop the terrorists bringing explosives INSIDE airports?

Sadly there could be 100 of them inside the airport and they can take out passengers......just like the bombings in the subways of the UK a few years back and through out Europe....they wouldnt need a plane at all.

We need BETTER technology for bombing detection....
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 3:07 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• because there is ZERO proof that these measures will actually prevent an attack, and are a huge invasion of privacy. Any other time someone puts their hands inside your clothing it is sexual assault.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:56 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• The problem is that it's not security, it's theater. And considering what I've been through in some airports, it IS harrassment. I was stripped to my tanktop (no bra) and had all of my personal items examined in detail in front of all my fellow passengers (no privacy at all, despite the promise of privacy) and questioned in detail about stuff that was clearly not a weapon, like my BC pills which even had the script label on them matching my name! When its you that is treated like a criminal, fondled, bodywanded multiple times and then hammered with questions - and THEN looked at by your fellow passengers like you just announced you had nitro strapped to your chest, then maybe you'd understand. Even other countries, who have dealt with terrorism for MUCH longer than the US, look at our airport security measures as a joke.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:06 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Not to make you more uneasy, but if someone REALLY wants that plane to crash, they will find easier ways than putting someone on board.

And I can say that as someone who DID lose family members on 9/11. My cousin, her husband and their 2 daughters were on the plane that crashed into the Pentagon.

I am angry and I DO want the people responsible brought to justice. I just don't think patting down toddlers and taking away little old ladies' crochet hooks is the way to do it.
    geminilove

• Because the airlines need to remember that we are the CUSTOMER. Would you let them pat you down at McDonalds because someone could walk in and blow them up too? The airlines wouldn't need government bailouts (which is also taxpayer's money) if they would treat people right.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:58 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I'm with you sister. We can't have it both ways.
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 11:55 AM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I agree with you, but the problem is that it is invasive. A lot of people are uncomfortable with that and I don't doubt that there are a few perverted security personnel who take advantage of that.
    Anonymous

• My body. My privacy we are talking about. I've seen the explanation of the x ray machine, still not happy with it. There is no guarantee at all that these measures will keep us any safer. Frequent fliers going through all the radiation --what happens to them down the road? None of this has been tested for that even. And I will not allow some stranger to physically maul me in the name of "safety." Some religious groups may encourage women to refuse both and some extremists may take advantage of that if the women are still allowed to fly without the measures they are trying to push on everyone else. Sorry, if the regular metal detectors arent enough then I'd just as soon not fly.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 12:10 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• they don't make people have a pat down or full body search to go into a professional football game where you could easily take out 15 thousand people... that argument doesn't hold weight to me....
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:29 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• well then clearly any terrorist with a brain would blow up the super bowl instead of an airplane, therefore making the sexual assault of American citizens in the name of protecting them a moot point.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:42 PM on Nov. 15, 2010