3 yr old attitude adjustment...

I need some new ideas on how to deal with my 3 yr old's attitude. I've tried everything i can think of; from spanking, to time out, naps, taking away his favorite things...nothing is working. He's just plan hateful. Back talking me, hitting things, throwing huge fits about EVERYTHING. I need some help. Please! Some days I think he's a 13 yr old girl!!

Any suggestions would be GREAT!! Thanks for your time.

soccermama08

Asked by soccermama08 at 3:30 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I do not have an answer for you but I am very thankful to see that my 3 year old is not the only one acting like that! Every one keeps telling me it's a phase. I think phase or not I do not want my child to act like that! We have been using lots of spanking and time in his room alone. Nothing works all of the time but its good for me to have him in his room for a few minutes.
    aprilford2003

Answer by aprilford2003 at 3:33 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• stick his nose in the corner everytime he's hateful. tell him what got him there and whyit's not accpetable. make sure other peoplke aren't speaking to each other that way in his presence.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 3:39 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Just keep being consistent with your punishments. I know that when my 4 year old acts up I do the same things you do...spanking, time out alone no playing with toys, taking away her favorite toys. I notice that she starts acting out when I am unable to devote attention to her so instead of rewarding her by giving her attention I put her in her room and ignore her (which drives her crazy). Eventually she straightens out. Eventually it gets through their big heads that making good choices is a lot more fun than making bad ones.
    Colleen801

Answer by Colleen801 at 6:35 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I agree with standing in the corner. I have a son who just turned 4. Time out in his room was not working. He was really talking back and acting inappropriately. The first week of standing in the corner he was averaging 5 times a day. After a week, he is averaging 2 times a day.
    Anadmarie

Answer by Anadmarie at 8:19 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Ok, wow. That makes me feel a whole lot better. I was about to post the same question about my 3 year old daughter. Yay!! I'm not the only one with a drama queen. I swear, sometimes it feels like I'm the only one in the world with a 3 year old. I'm going to do the corner thing. That's something I haven't tried.
    SLCMOMMY

Answer by SLCMOMMY at 11:05 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I don't know if this help but children usually don't end the "terrible twos" until schools age (5). My daughter just turned 4 and she is horrible ( i hate to say that). She has her own room with a t.v and all her stuff in it. Well I have the "3 rule", if she gets in trouble for the same thing 3 time (usually it's in a row) she looses something. On a "good" day she has to be in bed at 8 and her t.v is gone! On a "bad" day she has nothing, I have literaly taken everything out of her room ( i only had to do that once). I can say as they get older they do mellow out, I hope this helped some.

rnm080404

Answer by rnm080404 at 12:45 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• lol yep my kids HATE the corner, they have to stand up,nose touching the wall, and if they move or talk, their time starts over. punishments are supposed to suck.
    teri4lance

Answer by teri4lance at 8:29 AM on Nov. 4, 2008