Does anyone know a good way to stop nosebleeds?

My son has nosebleeds at least once a week or more since he was about 3 years old. He's 11 now. He has had several small capillaries in his nose cauterized, but it was a very temporary fix. He even has them in his sleep sometimes.

Steflovesmykids

Asked by Steflovesmykids at 11:58 AM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My oldest son had similar problems. Try ice to the back of the neck. Keep the head tilted back. I know the blood will sometimes go down the back of the throat, but it still seems to clot more quickly. Also, try putting a humidifier in his room to keep the air more moist. When the thin tissues dry out, they are more apt to bleed.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:04 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I am pretty sure the only thing you can really do is hold you head back, look up and put a wad of toilet paper in the bleeing nostrile and that helps to make it stop faster. I dont suggest laying down i did it once and all the blood went down my throat NASTY!!
    lovinmybaby87

Answer by lovinmybaby87 at 12:05 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Ice the back of the neck, Humidifier when it starts to get dry out, don't use nasal sprays unless they are only saline. The saline will keep the nasal passages moist and cut down on how many he gets.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:28 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• nasal spray and hold the head forward and apply pressure for 10 min
    Amanda_82

Answer by Amanda_82 at 10:55 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• this may sound really strange. i used to fall alot when i was little and we still do this for my childeren... Keep a butter knife in the freezer. when he gets a nose bleed have him put it on his nose.. it really does help......
    philsangel

Answer by philsangel at 10:45 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• ok, this is going to sound strange, but it really does work. My 5 year old has nosebleeds too. have him lay on the ground on his stomcah and use the palm of your hand to pound on the heel of his foot about 5 or 6 times. you have to hit it pretty hard. it is a pressure point for the nose. It should stop within a minute or so.
    ashleymb

Answer by ashleymb at 1:43 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Thanks for all the advice. I think I'll try everything at least once. That is until I find something that helps. =)
    Steflovesmykids

Comment by Steflovesmykids (original poster) at 5:31 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I have a guy friend who's prone to nosebleeds (and also a cop on campus, I know this makes so much sense hereright, and may be useless but bear withme). He swears by carrying around the unpackged light tampons in his pocket so that if something happens he just uses one of those. Kinda like the wad of toilet paper but more absorbent and already bound.
    No idea if it'll really work or help, but I figure it's worth throwing out there.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 8:25 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• do you know what causes them? The humidifer sounds like a good idea
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:56 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Ask your Dr for ideas.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:09 AM on Dec. 14, 2010