Life is not fair.

In a question regarding abortion the following answer was given ....

"Life is unfair, so will the choices one may have to make in life."

How does this not apply to the gay marriage debate?

Gal51

Asked by Gal51 at 12:07 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Yes life is unfair but that doesn't mean someone should deny themselves from being in a mutually loving adult relationship. Plus the Supreme Court of the USA ruled back in the 60s or 70s that marriage is a BASIC HUMAN RIGHT. So I do not understand why this is a debate. Same sex marriage should be legal across the states.

I think those who use the 'well they can be celibate' argument are looking it at from the POV that they will never have to do that. No LOVING God would ask you to deny yourself from a mutually loving adult relationship just because the people are the same sex. I really would like all of you high and mighty people who think being celibate is so easy should have to try to do so for years on end.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 12:18 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• So, you mean that gay marriage should be okay as long as they refrain from having sex since the sex is an actual choice although the homosexuality isn't? If that isn't your argument, then I will say that there is a difference between unfairness and discrimination. To deny anyone marriage solely because of their sexual orientation is discrimination.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 12:16 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Oh wow, this again.. Let it go.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:18 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Because homosexuality is not a choice - Discrimination on the other hand IS... And when your choices are choices (good or bad) which affect YOU, it's completely up to YOU - But when your choices are choices which affect OTHERS, the greater good should be all that is considered.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:34 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• because being gay is not a choice.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 12:10 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Gail neither thing is a choice, why should anyone repress what comes natural? for a homosexual to chose not to act it out would be living their life as one big fat lie, for what???? to please those who think it is a sin and an abomination? Ultimately you are responsible for your own happiness, this is what ss marriage is all about, nothing more nothing less, wanting the same things other couples want in life. And yes, Life is not fair but there are many instances where this unfairness can and will be changed eventually.

Let me ask you something Gal, if the tables were turned and you were gay and saw the discrimination wouldn't you oppose to being discriminated when all you really want to do is find someone to spend the rest of your life and love?

Answer by older at 12:21 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• How does this not apply to the gay marriage debate?

Easy - just because your bible says something, you don't get to force everyone else to live by it. Sorry, life isn't always fair (not that it would actually be fair for you to do so, but I'm sure in your mind, fair = everyone is a Christian)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:58 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I think those who use the 'well they can be celibate' argument are looking it at from the POV that they will never have to do that. No LOVING God would ask you to deny yourself from a mutually loving adult relationship just because the people are the same sex. I really would like all of you high and mighty people who think being celibate is so easy should have to try to do so for years on end.

Thank you!

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 12:19 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Rather childish, I don't like it, so no-one else is allowed.

It causes no harm to anyone,a nd since the america is supposedly founded on freedom, equality and religious freedom, why should the religious views of a few prohibit something which doesn't affect them?
    I seriously doubt you'd be saying the same thing if christianity was made illegal.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 1:16 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I swear!!! This Jesus zombie is headed for the freezer. Get your abnormally large nose out of other people's business, Gal51!! You obviously don't get the gay issue and have no business beating us over the head with your superstitious nonesense.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 9:24 PM on Nov. 15, 2010