WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO KIDS AND....

Why is it that todays kids have no idea what manners are? I'm constantly on my kids cases about manners and being polite and respectful. Then their friends come over and just do whatever they want like its their house! I speak up of course and I usually end it with where are your manners. How do we get other children to show respect and manners if their own parents aren't willing to teach them?

LindaL77

Asked by LindaL77 at 12:20 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Obviously you are a perfect parent. I wish we all could be like you.
    Anonymous

• Keep it up at your house!! Kids know where they can get away with things and if they know you expect more then they will behave better!!
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 12:22 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Well if kids come over to my house. they will respect me and my home in my home. PERIOD. Or they will leave.

Answer by louise2 at 12:24 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I think that if you what your kids to be good kids and yes you just can't control all for their friends just make sure to point out to your kids that this is a very important thing and maybe your kids will rub off on the bad ones and maybe some day the other kids will just get it or we just all can HOPE they will :)
    Cokegirl09

Answer by Cokegirl09 at 12:26 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I know what you mean. I think that a lot of parents are just not taking the time to teach their children good manners and it shows when they turn up at your house and don't have a clue about how to behave. But my house, my rules. If your going to be in my house, your going to follow my rules. You get kind of dumb looks at first but kids are smart they catch on real fast especially when they see that you mean it. After awhile they are saying please and thank you and their parents are shocked asking you how did you get them to do that?
    dgall3

Answer by dgall3 at 1:34 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I think a lot of parents just don't hold manners as very important. I really try to treat others with respect and say please, thank you, excuse me, etc especially when my son is with me, because kids WATCH. My son is not perfect, but he generally makes a point of using basic manners. I do remind him, and other kids that I know well to be polite.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 2:20 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My sons friends knew what they could and couldn't do at our hoiuse. I told them I didn't care what they did at their own home in mine, I wanted things done my way. The funny thing is, in the end, they all loved coming to our house and we had a lot of fun hanging out.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 7:37 PM on Nov. 15, 2010