What is the CafeMom Encyclopedia?

What salon services are safe for pregnant women?

Hair color, artificial nails? What did you have done while pregnant, what did your doctor tell you was safe, and did you do any extra research?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 12:24 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had my hair dyed when I was in my third trimester. The doctor said it was fine. And I would get pedicures and manicures(not fake nails) but I would go to the spa cause it doesnt stink like that nail stuff.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 12:27 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• It is perfectly safe to get acrylic nails and color your hair while pregnant. I am a stylist with 4 kids! I would be out of work if that was the case. I actually did nails every day and was around color and getting both done. A few things that may help
    1) if you are sensetive to smells or chemicals, try getting gel nails instead of acrylic, they don't use monomer to do them. That's what you are smelling.
    2)Haircolor and perms process quicker while preg because your body heat is elevated.
    3)An extremly small amount of color can be absorbed through the skin so foils are more suggested. But most professional color is organic and safe to use.
    4) Facial and body waxing, be careful! It's okay to do them, but the skin changes a lot during pregnancy and can thin out which can cause too much skin to come off during the service! So be aware.
    4)There is no proof that it harms the baby.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:34 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Sorry, lol

4) there is no proof that coloring, perming, or acrylic nails causes harm to you or your unborn child!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:36 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I had my nails done, bikini wax, facials, and prenatal massages (after 10-12 weeks).
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 12:18 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I can't think of any that aren't safe... Or at least that are any more dangerous that scrubbing your bathroom...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:20 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Hair coloring: While there isn't significant findings in it causing complications during pregnancy you need to be aware that there are some risks involved due to some of the ingredients. Just as your doctor tells you to not change the liter box due to the ammonia, you need to be aware that most permanent hair colors contain ammonia. This doesn't mean you can't color your hair however. It just means that you have to be weary of the type of hair color you use, and proper ventilation. It's best to stick with a more Demi permanent hair color while pregnant or to stick to a color that is like your natural tone to minimize or eliminate the use of ammonia all together. You can also see if your salon carries ammonia free hair color.
    Ammonia is shown to cause the most harm during the first trimester, so that is when it should be avoided the most.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:38 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I would stay away from acrylic nails when pregnant, the fumes aren't good for you when your not pregnant, let alone when you are. There are also a lot of places that don't properly ventilate, or preform the procedures entirely legally (in other words they use products that aren't entirely legal, to help elongate the time your nails stay on etc.) So it's something I wouldn't recommend.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:41 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• pedicures:

You need to be aware that during the first trimester especially, massaging of the foot during a pedicure can cause miscarriage. So while it's safe to soak, foot file, cuticle remover, and paint, etc, you need to be aware that the massage may need to be eliminated from the service.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:43 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• perms and relaxers:

should be put aside, however more for hormonal reasons than medical reasons, because your hair is more likely to take differently while pregnant, than it would otherwise.

other concerns:
    be aware of family allergies. While it may not effect you, certain products (that a family member of yours that has a history of allergic reaction to) should be kept away from.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:50 AM on Nov. 17, 2010