How do you keep your child in the car seat?

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 12:25 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I car doesn't work unless she is her car seat. Or for those with boosters, the car wont' move until the seatbelt is latched. If she undoes it while driving, I pull over.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 12:26 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• The rare and unexpected use of intensity.

When a child has a parent who uses an intense response to everything from getting down from the table before finishing lunch to wearing shoes instead of boots in fine weather, it is hard to use it effectively when it really matters.

But when there are only a small handful of subjects that will ever get mom into the Intense Zone, it makes a real impression. I had one child say 'I can unbuckle my carseat by myself,' and I leaned in to about an inch away from her face and growled 'not in my car, you can't.'

Now, if I used that kind of response to anything every day --or even every week-- it wouldn't have been nearly as impressive. Since I'd probably only used it twice in that child's life to date, the subject never came up again.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:28 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• how old is your child and what kind of car seat?

My ds will be 5 next week and still can't unbuckle his 5 point harness
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:30 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My kids have never unbuckled themselves. If they did, I would pull over.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:41 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My bucking them in and using the seat belt to fasten the seat in.
    BeautyFromPain

Answer by BeautyFromPain at 12:58 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• my son can't unbuckle his 5 pt harness. he has an evenflo maestro ($80 at target)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 5:17 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My daughter can take a portion of it off but not all of it. But I told her that I love her and that the seat protects her in case we are hit by another car. Without it she could get hurt really bad. That Mommy and Daddy where seat belts to help protect us and that she is too little for just a seat belt so she has to have the car seat. It has worked for us so far.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 9:58 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I pulled the car over and spanked my oldest. Never did it again. Also the story got passed down so none of my kids ever did it again.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 10:20 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My son is almost 4 and still in a 5 point harness. He can only undo the top part and if he does then he gets in big trouble. He's only done it a couple of times. He got spanked both times and we also explained how important it was. He hasn't done it since.
    mindi6103

Answer by mindi6103 at 1:47 AM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I think (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) they make "latch covers" that go over the latches on a car seat/booster that prevent a child from undoing them....
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:53 AM on Nov. 16, 2010