Weird coincidence?

Over the past 2 years, there have been about 20-25 births in my circle of friends or of people that I know. Only 3 of the babies ended up being girls. All the rest are boys. My grandma said that in times of war, there are always more boys born than girls. She said it happened in WW2 as well. Thoughts?

Ash9724

Asked by Ash9724 at 12:27 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Little confused about some answers lol. But yea Ive seen trends Im sure others have seen the girl ratio.
    bellsandheels

Answer by bellsandheels at 4:07 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Does anyone have a uterus I can borrow? I think we may be at war.

I'm sooo confused. But yes OP I have heard that same thing many times. I have 2 of each, so I really don't know what that means..lol
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:42 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Consider the legacy of two hypothetical men—let’s call them John and Rich. John has three sons, all of whom go off to fight, and one daughter, who does not. Rich has the opposite family structure: three daughters and one son. John is more likely to see multiple sons return from war alive—and with Y-leaning sperm. So they’ll produce more sons of their own. Rich is likely to lose his only son, which if alive, would have fathered girls to even out the sex ratio. The mechanism, shifts the sex ratio back to normal as the dip in male mortality recovers.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 12:29 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Everyone I know has had girls.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 12:46 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I have observed something similar... but it's about how many babies the mom knows when she's pregnant.

When there are very few babies in mom's world, she tends to have girls. When mom knows lots of babies, she tends to have boys. Which is why there seem to be 'boy runs' in friends' groups --the more babies around, the more likely the next one will be a boy.

Which makes sense: you need lots of uteruses to make more babies, but not a lot of sperm donors.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:31 PM on Nov. 15, 2010