So I was called a bad mother for the 100th time....

Because I decided for my kids to be homeschooled ...

My 6 year old daughter ( my son is only 2 ) has a home -teacher that has almost 40 years of experiance, we go on weekley fieldtrips, she is in several activites ( like dance, karote, seasonal sports for her age group) , she has alot of friends from these activites, and has playdates all the time, she is very social, and is not an "odd ball" . We decided to homeschool because where we live the schools do not have the greatest reviews and we honestly just feel safer that they will be staying home to learn. One day when they are older and want to try and go to regular school we will let them try it.

My 6 year old is learning at a 3rd grade level ! I might be a little over protective but I dont see that as a bad thing, and I certainly dont think I deserve to be called a bad mom ( which I have been called several times on here just for homeschooling !!! )

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:31 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• you sound like a wonderful mom to me, doing what you feel is best for your daughter. i am sorry you are getting called a bad mom.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 12:34 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• You know what I would do? Quit telling strangers who dont mean anything to you about your personal life. Its a personal choice to home-school. Why do you care if a bunch of strangers approve of it? Nobody would know on here unless you chose to tell them. Do you believe youself to be a "bad mom"? What difference does it make if some anonymous people on the net say that? Is it going to change what you are doing? It shouldn't.
    Anonymous

• Ignore what other people say. I know it can be hard to do, but sometimes you just have to let it go. You do what YOU think is best for YOUR child. It's really no one's business but yours. There are plenty of people who might disagree with things I do for my child (vaxing, circumcision, I'm anti-CIO, etc.), but you know what? They can kiss my butt because there no way in hell I'm going to go against what I feel is best to please someone else. You shouldn't either. Best of luck! :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:35 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Do you really need the approval of people you do not know to validate your parenting choices?
    Anonymous

• Ignore them.. You are doing what you think is best for your children and it sounds as if they are more well rounded than most schooled children are, so hold your head high and never mind the negative and ignorant comments from those who obviously have no idea what they're talking about.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:37 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• It sounds like it is all going very well. I don't think you're a bad mother at all.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 12:37 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I don't think homeschooling is wrong at all...more so when it's conducted by an actual teacher and it's for school-length periods of time during the day. If a parent who is not a teacher (or certified) is homeschooling for just a few hours a day, that's what I think is not appropriate for a quality education. Just my opinion.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 12:37 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I don't see what's so wrong with homeschooling, as long as the kids still have social interactions. Most homeschooled kids learn at a more advanced pace because they get a one-on-one education. I might homeschool when my son is old enough.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:38 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I don't think you're a bad mom at all! Just curious....do you do the home schooling or you hire someone to do it for you? Sounds like from the above you employ someone...did I read that right?
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 12:38 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I don't think you are a 'bad' mother, I think you are a mom who is doing what she feels is best for her children! I have a family member and a friend who homeschool they are committed and very dedicated to what they do and they make sure to follow all the guidelines for homeschooling as well as doing extra activities (for socializing). While it is not something I could ever do, I really admire them for what they do and for sticking to it! I think it is great that you found a home-teacher to help with the homeschooling and congrats on your daughter learning at a 3rd grade level!!!
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:43 PM on Nov. 15, 2010