Girlfrend of dead husband sued me and won!

A neighbor was sued by her late husband's girlfriend for 1/2 the value of her home that she has lived in for 35 years. This woman is now being forced to sell her home. The girlfriend should have NO rights to the house as she lives in a different county and was never married to the late husband. What can she do? The judge won't let her appeal. Is there a way to find an attorney that will do this pro-bono? She is contacting news stations etc. She is 58 and has lived in this home since 1975...it's paid for but she is now on workman's comp due to an accident. She's going to start struggling for money as she spent her whole life savings on this case. Think about how you would feel if your ex left you the house and everything in it, he dies and the girlfriend whom he cheated on you with is now entitled to kick you out of your home of 35 years? What can she do? What would you do?

LoriannMc

Asked by LoriannMc at 12:31 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• If she was here in NC, she could sue the girlfriend for "alienation of affection" and get money from the gf.

Answer by missanc at 12:33 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• something sounds fishy about this story, unless the DH left her half the house in his will.
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:32 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• That is horrible and hard to believe that any judge or anyone for that matter would allow this to happen... hopefully it gets alot of news coverage and the judge is overruled
    2lilbumblebees

Answer by 2lilbumblebees at 12:33 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• i am no help but that is a horrible story. i sure hope someone can help you and help her.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 12:32 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• There has to be something missing from this story, the girlfriend should have NO right to that house, it doesn't even make sense.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 12:38 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Wow this is crazy, I don't even know how she could have won her case! I wouldn't think the girlfriend would have any rights. Were the married couple seperated and the hubby living with the girlfriend for a while? Or did he have kids with the girlfriend? I just don't see how that could happen, there must have been some other circumstances involved. I think she needs to call around to lawyers explain her case, and hopefully someone will help her.
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 12:41 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Well... she doesn't have to sell it. She could finance the 1/2 she owes, or even ask the girlfriend to hold the mortgage (and avoid the banks completely) --girlfriend could end up with a sweet deal, if she's pretty sure the woman will actually make the payments (and if she doesn't, she can foreclose).

I'm not sure how she managed to find out that the 'judge won't let her appeal' --since it's not the judge of *that* suit's place to make that determination. No lawyer will take this on --the husband's debts are owed until they are paid, not until he dies. If he made promises or signed contracts with the bit on the side, the fact that they were never married is irrelevant.

Here's the object lesson: if you ditch the guy, get your finances untangled as quickly as possible to avoid, well, this.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:35 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Agree with peanutsmommy1, but also wonder if the girlfriend had a very long relationship with the guy and didn't know the wife existed so she feels entitled to some of his estate. I don't know, throwing thoughts out there, it's an odd story. I hope the poor woman can keep her home.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 12:35 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• For real? Something doesn't sound right. Isn't infidelity also a crime? Shouldn't the wife be able to sue the gf for that?
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:36 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Honestly, I would check on that "the judge won't let her appeal" part. I don't think that any judge can say you can't appeal a judgement!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 12:41 PM on Nov. 15, 2010