Is it wrong to Christen/Baptize when I don't believe..

He was raised Catholic, I was not raised religious because of the Catholic church denying my sister (3 months old) rite to burial in a Catholic cemetary due to my parents not Christening her before her death.. this from the same church my mom's entire family attended her whole young adult life...

We are both Athiest...

He wants to Christen the baby for her and our family.. I do NOT want to be a liar- stand in church and declare I will raise my child by the faith.. which is what the ceremony is truly about...

What do I do?? Suck it up and do it for "the family".. Or stick to my beliefs?

Please do not bash me, I am asking for advice, not a stoning.

ZoeKatsMom

Asked by ZoeKatsMom at 3:39 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• stick with your beliefs honey.

IMHO baptism should be left to the person to decide for them self when they are old enough to make that kind of decision.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 3:41 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I agree with flutterfae, stick to your beliefs. My mom wanted my kids baptized but I'm a firm believer that a person should be able to choose their faith on their own when the time is right for them.
    momof3_dll

Answer by momof3_dll at 3:49 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Yes, stick with your beliefs. I am an atheist and I feel it would be very disrespectful of me to stand up in a church and falsely profess a believe in god. I would never do it out of respect to the people that do believe. Know what I mean? Stick to it.

Our daughter will NOT be baptized, even though I know it bothers my in-laws. Oh-well. They love her anyway, and us.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 3:52 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• You need to stick to your guns. There's no reason you should bend to your own beliefs and become a hypocrite to please other people. Unless your SO is going to attend church on a regular basis with your child they shouldn't be christened. Your child might decide to become involved in the church at a later time and they can always be baptised later on in life. My husband's family is SUPER religious. Our children are the first ones born who are not christened. Neither of us is religious and it just doesn't make sense for us to hold a ceremony neither of us believes in.
    roxy85

Answer by roxy85 at 3:53 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Stick to your beliefs. My husband and I are both pagan but the family thinks we're just not very devout Christians....no one on either side really attends church, but have Christian beliefs. I told everyone I was not Baptizing or Christiening and we also did not have our marrage in a church and did not have a religious figrue presiding over it. We were adamant about that and no one questioned us.
    seakla

Answer by seakla at 4:00 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• dito
    FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 4:04 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• My mom christened my older sis because her mother in law at the time wanted it! Now she feels she did it for the wrong reasons! My SO and I are not strictly religious but his mom is. We did christen our little one because I wanted to recognize the godparents. The problem is in the church they ask all parents and godparents to attend a class, which they have to pay for, and then pay for the ceremony and the whole thing would've taken months and cost hundred's per person! We picked an area near water, got some holy water from a church, and said our own prayers and did it our own way! (they way Jesus did it)! That way he is blessed under god-and not governed by any one reigion!
    The whole cemetary thing though sucks! Everyone sgould be buried by there family regardless of faith!
    Monnek

Answer by Monnek at 4:13 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Stick up for your beliefs! You won't BELIEVE what my mom told me about baptism.

She asked if we were going to get our daughter baptized or christened. I said "No", because I want her to make the choice herself when she's older. We're not incredibly religious people and we don't want to force anything down her throat.

My mom had the AUDACITY to say "Well what if she DIES before she's old enough to decide that for herself? Do you want her to go to hell because you didn't baptize her?"

Oh, and for the record...the woman called my mother DID NOT baptize me or my brother because she wanted us to make the choice ourselves. How could someone be so hypocritical?!
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 4:13 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• No do not baptize the baby, like you said you would be standing up there lying to God and the church how you plan to raise your child and the baby doesn't know any better right now anyway. Don't do it. Baptism is for believers not unbelievers.
    Anonymous

• I agree with the above statements but I also think you should put your husbands wants into consideration.
    Anonymous