Do you think that frozen food that are microwaved in the bag are safe.

I was microwaving broccoli in the bag when a neighbor came over and said that those bags are not good for you.

Bubbles120

Asked by Bubbles120 at 12:55 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Food & Drink

• That's the first time I have heard that.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:56 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• To clarify my answer: people usually relay things they heard from their friend's aunt's hairdresser's niece's best friend who was in school with a woman who became a aromatherapist and therefore is knowledgeable about everything having to do with everything.

But unless someone can tell me why it's supposed to be bad for me, I don't listen.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 12:59 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I buy large bags of frozen veggies ,pour them in a glass bowl and steam in microwave.Just use a clean cloth ,I have several dedicated to this and not used for any other reasons,or paper towel on top.Taste great and easy.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 2:28 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• The answer will depend on who you ask. The bags are made from food-grade plastic and they have been tested for food safety in the microwave. BUT there really isn't much known about the effects of plastics on the body. Alot of people are getting more concerned about plastics that could be leaching into the food.

So, is the plastic from the bag leaching into your food when you nuke it? YES! Is if getting into the food at a concentration high enough to harm you? We don't know the answer to that, because we can't really test it. Plastics are everywhere and you are getting plastics in your body - they can measure them in your bloostream. Is it shortening your life? We don't know? Is the possibility there? Oh YES!

BTW - check out my past post about teflon for a littlebit more about what I am talking about - http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1566260/Eating_Teflon
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 4:07 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Why does she think it's bad for you?
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 12:55 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Haven't heard anything about that. I like those steam bags. I loved steamed veggies and I can get hubby to eat veggies if they are steamed. =)
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:06 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Actually steamer packs are the most healthy way to get veggies minus fresh from the farmers market...They are frozen fresh and not stored in a can in water for months and months.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 1:07 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My thoughts.

No one really knows yet what the overall affects of all the chemicals being leached from those plastic bags into food will be . Years from now, the affects whether good or ill will be known. However, at this point and time, people haven't been using them long enough for their to be complete studies on affects over the years to the human body. Is it highly possible that all the chemicals leaching into foods will cause negative health affects in the long run. I believe so. If certain chemicals can leach out and be potentially dangerous to health in water bottles that get warm and/or used over and over again. Why wouldn't the chemicals leaching out due to high heat generated by radiation not be potentially dangerous as well.

I must say though.. Since I personally do not own or use a microwave, my thoughts are just based on articles that I have read over the years. Not personal experience.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:33 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• There is no such thing as microwave safe plastic. Even the FDA states this on their website.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:54 PM on Nov. 15, 2010