How can I help my son learn the days of the week?

My son is in kindergarten and is having trouble with the days of the week and with time (yesterday, tomorrow,etc). He knows the days of the week but not in order. I have tried to teach him through songs but he is not catching on. Any suggestions?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 1:02 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Keep up with the songs. That is the best way. Every morning you could tell him what day it is.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:05 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Days of the week, here's what I did. Get a calendar with his favorite cartoon or something he will like, then every morning before school or before/after breakfast cross off a day and explain what day it is and say 'yesterday was _____ and tomorrow is _______ but today is ______!'. My daughter caught on quickly doing that (she's a 5 yr old). Then she started looking forward to weekends =P
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 1:05 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Maybe because they're arbitrary words that hold no meaning? However familiar we are with the information, it's hardly related to anything real, or in any way logical or predictable. Do you know why the days are named (and not, say, a different name for every day of the month, which makes no less sense)?

You could investigate why they're named what they're named, and how they ended up being sorted in that order (or named at all)... some detailed information can help people remember all kinds of things.

It also might help if you just hand over the keys to the candy store: take lessons or get a good book about memorizing information and share it with him. It's a skill that can be learned and practiced, not magic or an innate talent that only a rare few have. Once he knows how to memorize things intentionally, his grades will skyrocket and everyone will think he's amazingly smart. And he won't have trouble like this ever again.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:06 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• We have a large Dry erase calendar in our kitchen. It is my sons job to move the start from yesterday to today's date. We talk about 'Today is Monday. So lets move the star from yesterday, Sunday, to today, Monday. What day will we move the start to tomorrow? Tuesday.'
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:12 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• The leap frog game is a good learning tool. You might give that a try.
    dgall3

Answer by dgall3 at 1:26 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• There is a song for the days of the week, that goes to the tune of the "adams family song" It goes " Theres sunday and theres monday, tuesday and theres wednesday, thursday and theres friday, and then theres saturday, days of the week (clap clap, days of the week,clap clap, days of the week days of the week days of the week, clap clap)
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 1:59 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Songs are great, the repetition helps them learn and makes it stick.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 2:18 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• We have turned it into fun song for her to sing and she seems to be remembering. I also got a calendar from Target that is a dry eraser board and I put something on each day for her and I to do together. It helps her to remember the day when she knows we are doing something fun.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 7:32 PM on Nov. 15, 2010