How do YOU socialize your only child as a toddler without childcare or cousins?

Where do you go? What do you do there? How often? If your only child isn't in childcare or have other family kids around, how do you socialize them? I'm a SAHM, and have noticed my little girl is a bit lost around other kids. I guess our two big dogs just are cutting it, anymore! LOL!

Airamana

Asked by Airamana at 1:04 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is also our only child, and we don't live that close to family. (We're in California and his first cousins are in Ohio and New York.) What I did was join a moms group when my son was 9 months old. (Through meetup.com - we were all local first-time moms who had kids born in the same year.) We've since moved a bit further away from the other moms & kids, but he's gotten to be buddies with a few of the kids, so we still see them at least once a week. My kid is so unbelievably social - we even joke about where in the world did he get that trait considering his dad and I are pretty introverted. ;)
    phoofy

Answer by phoofy at 4:32 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• How about the mall? The mall we have here has a little play area set up the younger kids. DIL takes grandaughter there occasionally when shopping.
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 1:07 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My son was an only child for the first 3 years of his life. We had him in Gymboree on Saturdays and we went to the parks and jump zone places around our area. He had church nursery as well.
    Anonymous

• Honestly I wouldn't know. My son doesn't have any siblings or cousins or anything of the sort (that live near us) but he is in daycare so he gets it there. If he weren't, I guess I'd try a play group or a toddler class at a chldren's gym or somewhere. I'm sure there are ways, but I understand that it can be difficult! Good luck :)
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:10 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Library offers free toddle time, its stories and song for toddlers
    raisingmen

Answer by raisingmen at 1:10 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Take her to the park. Take her to the library maybe they have lapsits.
    rebock

Answer by rebock at 1:11 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Well, two things: I don't think children need to learn to be children, they're innately talented at it, and; I'm so socially retarded that I couldn't manage to pass on at least something to a few kids...

It has been my observation for years that the very last thing children need in any quantity is children born the same year as themselves. Not only is it completely irrelevant, it's a completely arbitrary 'value' that the schools use because it's simpler than sorting by ability every year. If kids were meant to be raised in groups, they'd be born in litters.

Kids, like other real people, thrive in an environment of widely varying people, who bring different interests and abilities: elderly people with lots of patiences, younger kids who can't be bored with repetition, older kids who can help guide them and who already know how to share, young adults with lots of energy, etc.

Your daily life is plenty for any child.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:11 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• When my Son was about a year old, I enrolled us both in every free Library program that they offered. Sometimes we would go 3 times a week. They offer Toddler/infant playtime, Puppet shows, Crafts for kids, Holiday crafts, Sing-a-longs and dancing with themes like Pirates & Princesses, Balloon sculpures for kids, evening storytime etc. We have been going now for 3 years. Then after the class, we pick books & dvd's! We have made some friends & he got a lot of kid interaction. Call your local library & see what they offer. We also made friends to go with to the local playground for about an hour or two a week.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:13 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Sign her up for a gymboree class or 2.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:16 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• We go to museums when they have children's programs, church groups, library reading programs (free in my area), neighborhood kids, parks, gymnastics, dance classes, Gymboree classes like someone mentioned. Mommy and Me, mommy and child classes at your local city recreation center and see if a gym has anything. I think that is all I can think of. half of my list was free and the other half was not too too expensive. You don't have to be in all of the things at once, just choose something she would like and try a class. The library can be a great resource for activity ideas.

The biggest thing is that you have to put yourself out there. i have a hard time with that, but push yourself and then if you think your child gets along with any kids well, make a play date at a local park and go from there. Good luck.
    LovemyQ

Answer by LovemyQ at 1:17 PM on Nov. 15, 2010