If you were looking for a tutoring service for your child, what would you want from them?

Certificates, diplomas, low cost, number of students already enrolled, number of teachers, hours, days.... what should one look for to find a quality tutoring service?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 1:17 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• If it's just a friend and it will be like more of a favor type of thing, where you help her out and she gives you a little money, then I don't think there's any certifications or licensing required. If you were to get into actually trying to do it as more of a business where you were tutoring several children, then yes, you'd need to look into what certifications may or may not be required, as well as business licensing. But just helping out a friend's child for a small amount of compensation, no.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:55 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I would consider all of the points you mentioned. My first step though would be to ask for referrals, either from other parents or teachers at your child's school. I would also be very, very interested in finding a small tutoring service, preferably a one-person show over a large service with possibly high turnover and whose services may cost more due to high overhead.
    Have you asked anyone at the school for recommendations?
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:39 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I don't need one personally... my children are too young. My oldest is only about to start kindergarden. But I was debating helping a friend and wasn't sure if I needed anything special like certifications and stuff to charge for something like that.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 1:52 PM on Nov. 15, 2010