This is why this policy has to end!

Look at this video and what it has to say, and tell me why there is still people out there who want this policy to stay?

Asked by older at 1:31 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • "If this person got outed, they would lose their pension, their retirement benefits -- their 20 years of service in the military would be gone," he said.

Sheng asked many of those he photographed why they continue to serve despite the inequality.

"I asked, 'Why do you still serve with this policy in place? Why would you do it?' " Sheng said. "And they all looked at me and said, 'Because it's serving the country. It's the most honorable thing that I can think of doing right now in my life.' "

Amazing, isn't it, that they would serve, wanting to preserve freedoms and rights that they don't have themselves.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 2:01 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Js, I think it is amazing that ANY soldier is willing to serve, wanting to preserve rights and freedoms that they don't have themselves.

NO soldier has the same rights and freedoms that you or I do ~ but they do. They serve in spite of the lousy hours, lousy pay, a lousy ungrateful civilian population, and without the same rights that all the civilian world demands. Don't knock the straight soldiers in that regard because they too lose rights.

What they don't lose is their support network, the right to talk to those they love, or even talk about them. And, I agree with you that those who are gay should NOT have to do their job without that.

I do believe that this is strictly a military issue though, and not one that the civilian world or courts should have any say in (although I wouldn't mind using most lawyers/judges as shields for our troops *EG*).
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 4:01 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Older, awesome video, and awesome message. Giving it a bump.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 4:03 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• It has to end. Equal rights.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:22 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Thanks JS for adding that blerb from the video. Amazing is the right word for it!!

parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 2:26 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• That was an amazing collection of photos and made a great statement about the policy. Thank so much for sharing them--even though it made me cry!!
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 2:53 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• It really DOES have to end.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 2:53 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I think it's going to be overturned, hopefully by the end of this year. If not it will be another cave in disappointment for me. It's sad it has taken this long.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 4:46 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• very compelling and beautiful video older.. definitely worth a vote up.. and whoever voted down those that support the video.. you really are a sick individual and need to make your statement and self known because you are nothing but a coward!
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:30 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• It's sad that this policy still exists. It needs to be overturned.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 6:30 PM on Nov. 15, 2010