How do you find a job in this bad economy?

I have a job now, but have been searching for a new one for 6 months now. Any suggestions?

Mindy8210

Asked by Mindy8210 at 1:32 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

• At time it's word of mouth and by references.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 1:34 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Send in your resume' and application to every place you can. Regardless if they're hiring or not. Talk with the managers personally when you hand them in, so they know you're interested. Just keep searching.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:50 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I started putting applications out in June and just recently got hired myself.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 1:51 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

•  

I do career and job search coaching. I am always happy to help CafeMoms (and Dads) with resumes, coverletters, job search strategy, interview prep, etc. (I never charge CafeMoms for my services).

There are great tips and resources posted in the CafeMom Job Hunting Moms group: http://www.cafemom.com/group/102837

Answer by rkoloms at 5:03 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Move to : India, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and other countries that the US has set up trade deals that have outsourced and offshored most of the living wage paying jobs to............ LOL... Okay I know, humor not helpful.. but I couldn't resist.. LOL

What is the prevailing industry in your area? And what is the job market like in that (those fields)?
    What is your education/degree in ?
    What is your work experience background?
    What is your job training in?
    What is the field you have been employed the longest in through the years?

All of those things greatly affect not only what jobs to look for, what jobs you are qualified for but also whether or not (which I know if you have been out of work isn't really possible any way, however is a present day economic reality) you need to relocate to find work.

I'm sorry it's been 6 months already. I'm sure it's been a long and trying 6 months & your ready for it to end
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:40 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Persistance. Everyone is in the same boat as you so keep on trying and don't give up. Also, you might want to set up a LinkedIn profile if you haven't already and network with business professionals.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:07 PM on Nov. 16, 2010