Creative for Christmas?

Being that our funds are a little tight this year, I would like to get more creative in the gifts I give to my extended family.

I'm looking for ideas of homemade things or cheap ideas that don't seem "cheap" :)

As an example, last year I got the idea from Foodnetwork.com to use mason jars, fill them up with the ingredients to a dish (such as lentil soup), you fill layer by layer so it looks nice and then add a nice tag with the instructions.
People loved them and they cost next to nothing!

Anyone have ideas or tricks they use!?

AutumnJade412

Asked by AutumnJade412 at 1:34 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Holidays

• this year im making homemade gift baskets and wood plates with the kids' handprints on them for the grandparents and greatgrandparents.

i go to michael's and walmart to get everything i need for the baskets. the baskets themselves, tins, coffee mugs, hot cocoa powder holders, votive and votive candles. most of that stuff is a buck, with the exception of the baskets. they are between $5-$10. then i bake homemade cookies and fill the tins with them, along with a homemade recipe for hot cocoa and fill the holders with them. for the wood plates, also at michael's. last year i did each child separately, but this year im going to combine all 3 on one wood plate for each family member. i use red and green handpaint for them, then wrote their names by their handprints. my family loves that kind of keepsake stuff =)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:53 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• That's a wonderful idea! I think the grandparents would love the plate idea!
    Thank you so much!
    AutumnJade412

Comment by AutumnJade412 (original poster) at 2:20 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My sister crocheted scarves last year for all the sisters. I love it. It has a beautiful crochet flower on the end.

nonni2

Answer by nonni2 at 3:30 PM on Nov. 15, 2010