diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis

How does an active person adjust with arthritis? It's not bad yet. I can still type. This is not my first attack and I'm losing the function of my left thumb. The beginning is a swollen shooting pain that I shake out. I have other fingers that cannot bend completely because of permanent damage.

I'm too young to retire!!! And work is very important to me! How do other active women deal with RA and still be active?

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 1:39 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Health

• Quite frankly get yourself on a strict gluten free diet NOW!

I had fibromyalgia and early onset arthritis and was heading for a wheelchair future (I'm not exaggerating AT ALL. I was becoming debilitated with pain very quickly) but happened across an article that made me try a gluten-free diet for the heck on it. I was pretty desperate. And BINGO! I have NO arthritis or fibromyalgia symptoms. But I have to be very strict. The occasions where I've lapsed (scoffing down a bread roll or glutenous cake) I have some pain and restriction within days.

Please please try a gluten free diet. Google arthritis and gluten. Please?

I feel for you.
    J.Poppins

Answer by J.Poppins at 4:29 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Do you take daily oral meds..or IV meds several times a year? My sister gets IV infusions of Remicade. It has made a big difference for her. Physical therapy has also told her to keep moving, daily. Parrafin dips on her hands seem to help too in the winter.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:42 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I take oral meds. Most everyone in my office is older than I am, and has perfectly healthy joints. This is devastating!!
    BlueSaphire

Comment by BlueSaphire (original poster) at 1:50 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• how old are you? i was diagnosed with juvenile ra when i was 12 and now i'm 27, it has gotten worse over the years and what i take is celebrex...it's starting to lose its effectivness though, nothing really helps with the pain but advil helps some with the inflammation..what helps me also is taking hot baths, just soaking in the tub takes so much pressure off my joints GL i hope you find something to help you
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:09 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• It takes a while, but taking 1 tbs apple cider vinegar with 2 tbs honey twice a day every day has been said to help with every type of arthritis.... and drink lots of water with it...
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 3:58 PM on Nov. 15, 2010