Bullying, how have you dealt with it when it effects your child(ren)s safety?

And what would YOU do if you knew that YOUR chilld was being a bully?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well, they've typically had an awfully hard time getting close enough... because I believe that prevention is more valuable than litigation.

I supervised my children. It seemed simpler.

In the absence of that, when a bully did manage to find one of my kids (who was 16 at the time), she was charged, and convicted, and now has (among other things on her list of fun stuff to get before you're 22) a restraining order.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:42 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My 13yo (11 when this happened) was punched by a kid he didn't know when he was walking home from school. I drove him around the neighborhood so he could point the kid out to me. We found him, I asked him why he hit my son? He denied it, and I asked for his name and address, which he gave me. When I got home, I called the police, they came out and took a report. The next day, I went to the principles office and made a report. I drove my son to school for the rest of the school year. We found out that this kid hated my son because he is in the Honors classes, and he is always on the Honor Roll as well. (DS truly had never said a word to this kid.) The principle said that he has been "known" by the system for a long time. DS and I talked about the appropriate way to stand up to a bully. In this case, standing up meant that we reported him and let the system take care of it.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:59 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• As far as if I ever found out my child was being a bully? They would be volunteering at a local shelter, have NO privileges at home, and be grounded indefinitely. I won't tolerate bullying, and my kids know that. I'm lucky, I really don't think they could ever be cruel to another person - it's just not in them.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:01 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• If my son was being a bully, the militar post would kick him out of school and kick us off post ( not all arethe same) and we would whoop but for it! But he is a good boy, and when he was bullied (once) I went to the mother, and told her and her kid to stay the hell away from my son, or I would repot to her DH's chain of command!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 3:24 PM on Nov. 15, 2010