What is a good way to get the smell of cat spray out of my house?

Cat is getting fixed next week..ive been using lemon smelling cleaners..

honesty33

Asked by honesty33 at 2:05 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Pets

• Fixing the cat, sadly, will not help.

Once a tom has learned to spray (and they sometimes do after neutering), they will continue to spray whenever their instincts trigger them to.

It can actually help, if you can stand it, to leave the spray alone --cats can smell it long, long after you can't anymore and if he can still smell his undisturbed markings, he won't keep respraying it.

It's a territorial and sometimes calming behaviour --whatever's sparked his sense of needing to be territorial, or whatever is stressing him out, dealing with those can eliminate the behaviour.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:09 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I have heard the vinegar nuetralizes the smell.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 2:10 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• that*
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 2:11 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• thanx for the replies..i just moved and the tenant b4 me was dirty and had lots of cats so i think he smells that...and i cant stand the smell
    honesty33

Comment by honesty33 (original poster) at 2:14 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• you can buy cleaners at the petstore or even walmart that have enzymes that nuetralize it I think one of them is called OUT! Luckily I have never had to use them but I have heard that cleaners with enzymes work best. the first poster is right, your cat may still spray once you get him fixed but if you can figure out the reason you may be able for solve it. Cat's can be very jealous so if there is something new in the house or if you have more than one cat that could be a place to start. Make sure you have more than one litter box if you have more than one cat...my MIL's male cat will spray all over if her female cat uses his litterbox she didnt get him fixed until he was an adult.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 2:16 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• You need something to neutralize the urine. Lemon scented cleaners won't do that. Forget the cat urine neutralizers too. ( They're expensive and they don't really do the job !!! ) Take it from me, ---a longtime cat owner & lover and a pet groomer : THE ABSOLUTELY BEST THING TO USE IS STRAIGHT BLEACH OR BLEACH WATER ! ( make bleach water up in a squirt bottle like a used up dish liquid bottle--- 4 parts water to 1 part bleach ) FOR REALLY STUBBORN CAT URINE ODOR USE STRAIGHT BLEACH. Either pour it from the bottle on the area ( make sure it's colorfast first by testing a small area ) or spray it on. This works best on hard surfaces like tile and wood floors, of course. ( It make take the varnish off ) Leave the bleach on the odor for a while, up to an hour, then sop it up with paper towels and wash it. Remember : pets sometimes think bleach is tasty ! Watch the kids around it too ! Good luck !
    IndigoRose

Answer by IndigoRose at 2:16 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Will neutering he cat help ?... YES !!! Most of them will not spray after they're neutered. BUT,---many cats will go back to an area they've sprayed before and do it again if they smell any old odor of urine there. The trick is to fully neutralize the odor. But,---don't despair or think you have to get rid of the cat if he sprays the same area after you neuter him. Just keep neutralizing the area again and again. Once the area is thoroughly neutralized and dry and non-smelling he probably won't go back to it ! BELIEVE ME, I KNOW !!! I've had cats who were horrid about spraying and--- TODAY I have a clean smelling house ! Keep using the bleach and don't give up !
    IndigoRose

Answer by IndigoRose at 2:23 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• thanx so much ..i really appreicate the replies..i love my cats and would neva get rid of them...
    honesty33

Comment by honesty33 (original poster) at 2:26 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Nature's Miracle. All pet stores have it and it neutralizes the smell completely, even to the cat's smell
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 11:28 AM on Nov. 16, 2010