How can I get baby to overcome tongue thrust reflex?

The child is almost three years old and has been hospitalized most of her life. She was born in 08Jan and wasn't released from hospital until 10May. She was born three months premature and had an array of heart and breathing problems.

She is now home and is feeding through a g-tube. She doesn't eat with a spoon at all, she rejects it. Her tongue is fixated at the roof of her mouth whenever we try to feed her through a spoon.

Any suggestions? Mom and I are at a lost and she doesn't have an appointment until February.

JusticeCares

Asked by JusticeCares at 2:20 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think that it's something you'll have to work on in therapy... has she been having speech therapy??
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:36 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I too, was going to suggest speech therapy. Maybe occupational therapy. Has your LO had any therapies yet? I think they might be helpful.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:07 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Even if you dont have an APPT, you can still call the dr and ask what you can do about it.
    Good luck!
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 7:25 PM on Nov. 15, 2010