How can I get my Husband to do more stuff around the house ?

Like take out the garbage
do some dishes
Put the seat down
this like this

Cokegirl09

Asked by Cokegirl09 at 2:21 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Relationships

• Ask him. When the garbage is full, ask. When the dishes need to be done, ask. I have found that some men just do not recognize when to do these things, but are more than happy to help when specifically asked to do so. So, try asking him to do it when it needs to be done.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:24 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Don't know how to do that either. My DH does his own laundry, does yard work and takes out the trash. That is it. Even thouhg we both work he does not do anything else.

Answer by louise2 at 2:25 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I would like to know the answer to this also. lol I once saw a movie where the woman was reading a dog training book but used it on her husband instead. Like giving him special rewards for doing good. Maybe we need to try that out!
    Alamama

Answer by Alamama at 2:25 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• MY bf doesnt do much around the house either, and i always have to ask him to do some i can never assume that he will just clean up the dishes or take out the trash. When he does do it, even after i tell him i praise him, kinda like a dog lol. Then hes all like i did a good job and he feels appreciated. Just keep telling him you can do it alone, i need your help its is your house, and child too everyone needs to pitch in, good luck :)
    1mama2B

Answer by 1mama2B at 2:27 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• i find that i have to ask my husband most of the time. there are times when he takes it upon himself to take out the trash. he's learned over the years that i wont take his dishes to the sink, ill wash them if they're in there but i wont take them. even my 4 year old learned at school to throw her own stuff away and pick up after herself, one night she put her dirty fork in the sink and i was amazed. if a 4 year old can do this, so can a 25 year old man. he does it now lol and i happily wash his dishes. i wouldn't mind doing his laundry, infact it would be easier to do the household laundry all at once but he gets to his own before i have a chance to.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 2:34 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I have found that the best way to get my hubs to do things is to flat out ask. Like garbage for example I would say "the garbage is full, mind taking it out?" Cause if I did not ask it would sit there and over flow. Nevermind the fact he walks past it umpteen times a day, he just does not pay attention to it. Then once he does it I will say "thanks".
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:34 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Ask him. And continually ask him. My husband helps around the house when he thinks of it but honestly he really doesnt think about it often. He gets lost in his own world at times. He's kind of like the absent minded professor.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 2:43 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• This is what worked for me and has worked for over 16 of our 25 year marriage.

I showed my husband how helping me out around the house benefitted him as well.. As in:

Him helping me made me less stressed. So I was actually easier to get along with and more fun.
    Him helping me allowed me to have more "me time". Which in turn made me a happier person which made me a happier wife.
    Him helping me gave me more free time to share/be with him. Which we both enjoy and benefitted from.
    Him helping me allowed me more time and energy to enjoy the "friskier" side of life.. lol.. Which was a benefit and highly enjoyable for both of us.
    Him helping me made me feel more appreciated. Therefore, I also showed him more appreciation.

Try explaining these aspects of the situation to your husband. And when he does help, put these aspects into motion as well. Encourage him and show him the positive side of helping out. :-)
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 7:57 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• my hubby came family that his mother showed him how do work around the house i was raise that i was to look after the man ,but that was not happening a marriage works when both work togther ,it took two or more to make the mess it will take two or more to clean the mess , so in this house the men can cook clean and sew and take out the garbage
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 11:10 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Putting the seat down will never happen.... lol!!

I asked my DH what chores he would be able/willing to do on a regular basis - he picked taking out the garbage as one of em!! I have to remind him sometimes when it gets full.... but we all need a little help/motivation sometimes :)

Dishes and whatever else... you need to ask him what his expectations are of you. If he thinks you are always the one supposed to be doing the dishes he probably won't ever think to do them. If you cook most of the time you should ask him if he can do the dishes. And if everyday seems like a fight just ask him to do the dishes every Monday or something...

CariBou11

Answer by CariBou11 at 12:30 AM on Nov. 16, 2010