How do i get my daughter to stop sucking her thumb??

She is 3 years old and I know its not a big hurry but i would like it to stop before it becomes to big of a habbit.

butterflymama23

Asked by butterflymama23 at 2:21 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It is already a big habit, but it's a self-soothing habit. The trick to getting rid of those is making them unnecessary.

If she sucks her thumb for comfort when she's stressed, the less often she's stressed the less she's going to suck, right?

The risk of anything abrupt or harsh is that you'll not only redouble her reasons for needing to suck her thumb (which drives it from a 'habit' to a persistent obsession), but run the very real risk of creating seriously deviant behaviours to replace it.

Leave it alone. She has ever reason to outgrow it as long as no one gives her any reason to hold onto it.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:25 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I don't know from experience but my sister had a horrible problem getting my niece to stop. She was still sucking her thumb at 4. What finally worked for her was using the yucky tasting stuff that they make just for that purpose and putting it on her thumb, also she would put a piece of duct tape around her thumb like a bandaid just at night because she wouldn't suck on it if there was anything on it.
    mindi6103

Answer by mindi6103 at 1:44 AM on Nov. 16, 2010