Christmas tree disaster?

With the holidays just around the corner, its time to start decorating. My son is 14 months old and its our first christmas in our own place as a family, last year there were no worries because my son was only a couple months old but this year is a different story. We want to get a real x mas tree but i am worried about all the bad things that come with it, needles, ornaments, etc. I was thinking about gettin one of those round baby gates to put around the tree to keep him away but i dont know if that will work, does anyone else have any ideas on how to help?

1mama2B

Asked by 1mama2B at 2:23 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Holidays

• My aunt got one of those when her son was little and it worked very well for her. :)

Other than that I have no options to offer.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:24 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• We used all unbreakable ornaments, no ornament hooks (just ribbon to tie them on), and my DH used fishing line to anchor the tree to the wall. Never had an issue.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:27 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• My mom opted for a smaller tree and setting it up on a table out of reach, at least until I was old enough to understand "no touch".
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:28 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Needles are dangerous? How?

Instead of trying to keep a child away from an attractive nuisance right at the child's eye level, you can approach it from a variety of angles, depending on which you like best...

If you have a remote corner (like a landing, or a space behind the couches in the corner) you can put the tree literally 'out of reach' but in full view. I never wanted to do that, which is why I didn't come up with the engineer's solution: a family we knew mounted it on the ceiling, from the corner, with guy wires and eyebolts. It was certainly remarkable... but safe.

Make two: a 'safe' tree with nothing but plastic or knitted or quilted decorations, no lights and short enough (or well-braced enough) that it falling over isn't an issue; and then make a different 'grown ups' tree somewhere harder to get to or where you don't spend your days (good solution for homes with playrooms and formal living rooms)

LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:30 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• None of my 3 kids ever bothered the tree. I never had a problem at all. The cat was a pain in the ass though.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:32 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

Childproof the whole tree: no tinsel, no glass ornaments, no lights.

Decorate an outdoor tree, starting too high up for the child to reach. This would work well for a home with a good looking tree well centred on the main windows of the house --makes decorating inside and out 'done' all at once.

Dispense with the tree entirely, and use swags or wreaths for greenery in the living spaces of your house.

Or, what we did: supervise the child closely and make sure anything easily breakable is well out of reach (we had two-tiered trees for years: plastic, homemade, knitted and quilted decor for the bottom, lights well in at the trunk down there, and a more normal looking tree up where they couldn't reach it). It seemed to me to be simpler to keep my kids in the same room with me when they were little, particularly after the one climbed out of a full-size (empty) playpen without help.

I've never trusted baby 'gates'.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 2:35 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• 18 month olds are quite inquisitive and can find the fun in a flash! I like the idea of fishing line to hold the tree in place. Unbreakable ornaments are also great. I used to put bells on the bottom branches so i'd know if my son had gotten near the tree ( or a cat, because they are just as curious as the babies!)
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 2:36 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I never bothered with gates or anything, I just tied a small rope to the tree and nailed it to the wall, so it wouldnt fall down, but if she went close to touching it I just said "No touch" and she listened. Same with ds. :)
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 2:40 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I like the bells on the bottom great idea since we have cats too. Breakable ornaments, definitely keeping that in mind, I hate the clean up of tinsel so i dont use it so no worries there. Thanks for all the great ideas:)
    1mama2B

Comment by 1mama2B (original poster) at 2:41 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• As to see how you son will do around trees. Take him to see the trees say the artificial one at the stores and the real ones. See how he’s going to be touching them and kind of teach him there on how not to touch the trees. It will be an introduction learning experience and it also gives you an idea on well he does around tree at home when you get it. GL
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 3:56 PM on Nov. 15, 2010