what to do for allergies in a almost 3 year old and a 5.5 year old.

my girls both have allergies I am sure of they both have had sunny noses or stuffy noses sometime a cough off and on since they were a couple weeks old. My oldest has an apointment at the doctor the 22nd and I was going to bring it up to her, but she has been worse this year than any. She has been coughing (sometimes keeps her up at night) I think it is from the drainage. She has had a stuffy nose for about 2 months I mean really stuffy. What can I do for her? Then my youngest almost 3 has had a runny nose for 4 months it maybe longer. Her nose is so sore. The doctor gave her meds that was supose to dry it up, but didn't work so I called her and she said there isn't much you can do. But if she starts pulling her ears then bring her in, but I feel bad since her nose is ore and I have to wipe her nose. What can I do for her? She sneezes and TMI snot is everywhere.

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 2:29 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would for sure take them to the allergist! (I was just there today in fact) My oldest is on Allegra and it is FABULOUS! He tried to put him on Singulair...OH my BEWARE that is wicked stuff...besides breaking out in HIVES he had horrible mood changes and was mean and cried at the drop of a hat! the doc told me he was just at a conference yesterday and he learned that ALLEGRA is going to go OTC in the very near future. In the mean time you could try a bit of Benedryl or Zertec we had great luck with both of those for a while
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 2:40 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I would try out some benedryl first to see if that helps any if it seems to you could go on to something more long term like zyrtec or claritan. Try to get them into an allergist. My DD has some major allergies and was on zyrtec at 6 months. you can buy zyrtec and claritan both OTC if one doesnt seem to work try the other...clairitan doesnt do anything for my DD but works wonders on my DH. I wouldnt use the benedryl long term because the main ingredient in it is also used as a sleep aid so they would probably be pretty tired.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 3:00 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• my oldest was on singular and zertec, but it all the sudden stopped working, but I think it is because she has been on that stuff since she was 6 months old so it just stopped working. Other than that I didn't have a problem with singular.I have tried Benedryl as well and it doesn't seem to work.
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 3:08 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I have tried so much over the counter medicine for this and nothing seems to work. I know the zertec when my oldest was on it they told me to give give it to her at night because it might make her tired. If I do the allergy doctor what do I say? Do I just tell my girls' doctor I want them tested or do I just call around and find one myself or what?
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 3:11 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Never hurts to ask your ped for a recommendation. when I went with my son I wrote out his symptoms, what we had tried and for how long. If you have tried a lot of otcs and they dont seem to work I would call tomorrow and see about getting them in ...just so you know I heard a lot have a long wait list mine has aa 6 week wait today! GL
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 3:51 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• def. talk to your ped and ask for a referral to an allergist. If you can try to figure out what causes their allergies to flare...like if it is worse when they go out to play, or in a specific room of the house and try to avoid whatever it is until you can see the doc. I have to vacuum our carpet every single day and we keep the cat out of my dd's room. You can buy air purifiers that will help keep the dust at bay. We also keep dust covers on her pillows and mattress. good luck momma, I know how difficult it is to feel helpless when it comes to your kiddos.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 3:58 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• foxracing43701 just thought of it she did start school September 1st and she is in kindergarden and they play outside now. She doesn't normally play outside this time of the year cause I don't want to sit out in the cold lol and now it is a lot worse than it has been. Wonder if this can have something to do with it as well
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 4:24 PM on Nov. 15, 2010