How do i get my Kids to stop asking for stuff

my kids are from the age 11,7,4,2. 3girls the boy is 2 so the stuff is all over the board from Ipods to dora doll houses and they already have a toy store in the house I just can't keep this up anymore what do I do or is it to late

Cokegirl09

Asked by Cokegirl09 at 2:29 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• stop buying it...they can ask all they want but it dosen't mean you have to get it for them...they'll eventually "get it" and realize you're not going to get them something every time they ask
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:31 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Tell them NO and stand by it. Take them to volunteer, or donate their toys to kids who don't have any.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 2:31 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I always used the word NO. It works.
    I was always the type of mom that the more they asked the more they did not get.

Answer by louise2 at 2:32 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Stop giving them stuff when they ask for it. Simple enough, if you give them what they ask for, they will keep asking for more things. My children only received "stuff" on birthdays and Christmas, the rest of time if they wanted something they needed to earn it (by doing extra chores) or paying for it themselves.
    Sit them down and explain to them how it will work from now on and stick to it.
    tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 2:33 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• When one of mine says " I want a ...." (fill in the blank) I say "We will see what happens on xmas or your bday". A lot of the time they forget what they begged me for in about a week anyway. And you know, unless they have a job to pay for all the stuff they ask for, they sure arent getting it! You are in charge of buying things. Dont buy things. Pretty simple. They wont die if they dont have the latest video game or electronic gadget. Like someone else mentioned, my kids get presents on bday & xmas. That's it.
    Anonymous

• Quit buying it. What's so hard about that?
    Anonymous