Question about potty training (2 1/2 year old boy) adult content

Okay my son is 2 1/2.. He pees in the potty daily, but likes to run bottomless.. He wont poop in the potty.. If I try to put underwear or pull-ups on him he pee's in them.. I told him he has to pull the undies down and go on the potty and he will just take them off and not let me put them back on, so I let him run without diapers/underwear on in the house (just me & him here during the day, hubby home at night with us).. When he has to poop, he says "Put a diaper on me, Mommy, I have to poop" I bought him new underwears to try and get him interested in wearing them, he still wears his diaper at night and when we go somewhere during the day.. I just dont know what to do next.. How do I get him to wear his underwear and poo in the potty? Should I just eliminate diapers all together, or just give him time? Any advice helps, thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My SIL used potty treats. And when that didn't work for her last one (it worked for the other 5 kids) she used a cloth diaper on him and that cured it right there. What one of my friends moms did with her youngest was to promise him a "blue's clues" chair when he was fully trained. You might even try something like if he doesn't have any accidents during the day for a set number of days (I'd say 2 or 3) then he can have a trip to McD's or somewhere like it where there's a playland. Just try to make him see that it is in his best interest to use the potty for poop and pee.
    What you can also try since he recognized when he has to poop is to just stick him on his seat and not let him up until he goes. Keep books in the bathroom or toys something to keep him from driving you crazy while you wait for it to happen.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 3:29 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Going through the same thing as we speak. My son likes to run around commando and a soon a you put undies on he peeing in them. I am at lost right now myself but I refuse to buy any more diapers. I have decided to be firm and consistent with him because I know he knows what he doing. After peeing on hisself he always go get a towel and try to clean up. I just keep asking him do he have to go to the potty like every 30 min hopefully it will get through him.
    nicjon

Answer by nicjon at 2:36 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Don't have any answers, just bumping because we're going through something similar. My almost 3-year-old is good with peeing in the potty, but refuses to poop in it. He'll poop in his undies, on the floor if he's bare-bottomed, in a pull-up if I put him in one for naps. Treats and rewards haven't worked like they did with pee. I've even stepped up the reward to a Buzz Lightyear talking toy, and it's still useless. Even when the poo is coming out, he'll refuse, and scream/cry if I try to get him on the potty or toilet (with seat attachment). Driving us both crazy, so all I can do is sit back and let him take his time.
    phoofy

Answer by phoofy at 4:13 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• About the naked part...thats not gonna stop till 5ish especially with boys. Little boys love to run around naked no matter what you do or so, its not in IMO a battle worth fighting. I have a suggestion that worked with my oldest. When he went poop on the floor I had him help me clean it up. He didn't like that at all. About a week of doing that and he started coming to me to tell me he wanted to go to the potty to go poop.
    Iamasinglemom99

Answer by Iamasinglemom99 at 6:34 PM on Nov. 15, 2010