Will someone please explain the DOMA?

I know what it means but I don't understand why Americans would think it's necessary. I believe that same-sex marriage should be legal in every state, and recognized by the Federal Government the same way that "traditional" marriage is. How would same-sex marriage threaten traditional marriage? What purpose does DOMA serve other than to discriminate against homosexuals?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 2:31 PM on Nov. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Thats was an "accomplishment" of the Dubya administration. So was the war on terrorism...go figure.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:36 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• I find it interesting to read what was going in the passage of it back then.   Defense of Marriage Act

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 2:43 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Don't worry...i am sure the defenders will arrive shortly.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:55 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• It sole purpose is to discriminate against homosexuals. and this was added, Section 3 of the law—the part that defines marriage for federal purposes as the union of a man and a woman—was ruled unconstitutional by a federal district court judge in July 2010

Answer by older at 2:58 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• The history of it is interesting, but it still doesn't answer the question of why DOMA was considered necessary. What is it about same-sex marriage that is so threatening to "traditional" marriage that it needed an actual Act to defend it? What were they thinking? The argument is so circular--we need to define traditional marriage so that we can defend traditional marriage from same-sex marriage that threatens traditional marriage. . . how?

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 2:59 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• The same reason meeting in the middle of the night to prolong Teri Shivo's death process was important...republicans are really weird about some things...

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:03 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• There is a special place in HE** for those who discriminate (due to religion and/or bigotry), against anyone of a different race,nationality,politics or sexual preference.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 3:12 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• It's the Christian equivalent of sharia law.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:18 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• How would same-sex marriage threaten traditional marriage? -OP
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Because it would show children that it is ok to choose homosexuality for a lifestyle. Why won't gay people accept civil unions? Why isn't that good enough? It has the same benefits; you can see your loved one in the hospital, get a power of attorney, take care of the estate if their partner dies...etc. Its not good enough because you all won't stop until everyone bows to your agenda. I MUST like homosexuality and I MUST teach my kids that its normal!
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 3:25 PM on Nov. 15, 2010

• Well, brandy. . . as I understand it, civil unions and marriage are not the same thing--there are privileges that come along with marriage that do not come with civil unions.

I disagree with Christianity, yet it is all over the place.  Does that mean that I must teach my kids to like it and think that it's normal?  No.  But I do teach my children to accept other people's differences, whether or not we agree with them.  Could you not find it in your heart to accept that challenge?  Legalizing same-sex marriage will not create more gay couples, and no one is forcing you to like it or teach your kids that it's normal (even though it is--homosexuality can be found in nature, too).

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 3:31 PM on Nov. 15, 2010